Heathrow security strikes – First Security?

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

Can anyone advise whether the First Security lane in T5 is likely to be open when I am transiting on Tuesday (a strike day)? If it is, it might be a better option than taking the airside route for an international-domestic transfer.

cwoodward
    Participant

TiS – You can expect possible delays on May 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 25, 26 & 27 The 1st First Wing Security is likely closed, like during the previous strike periods.

openfly
    Participant

It’s already announced that the First Wing is to be closed, plus a degrading of the premium catering products on most flights out of LHR…yes, stuff Premium pax again. Any form of compensation?! No of course not…it’s BA!

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1359025]

Sorry, I thought it was security on strike. Not BA. Are BA on strike also? If not, why should BA compensate anybody, not just “Premium Pax”. I think that BA should compensate me for the extra fuel costs driving to the airport. Just as logical.

1 user thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Famous last words, but I seem to have been lucky with my dates, I arrive in from Accra on early morning of 9th so security should not be significantly impact. I then fly out on the morning of 11th to Rome. would anyone, with previous experience, like to burst my bubble of optimism?

JD_84
    Participant

Heathrow has been very quiet and operating as normal yesterday and today. They have put a number of back office staff out on the front line to help customers prepare for security and lines have been shorter than normal from what I have seen in T3 this morning. Security at Transfers is always dependent on time/flights/connecting PAX but have always found it quicker than normal security even Fast Track.

Justin Germany
    Participant

You should be fine using the airside transfer/security process at LHR T5. Firstly, if there are any queues to security, it’s likely to be landside as they limit the number of people entering the security area. Secondly, they don’t really want people missing connections (it’s expensive) so I’m sure they’ll make sure it is relatively fast. But perhaps most importantly, they are now using the new scanning equipment which means that passengers don’t have to take anything, including laptops and liquids, out of the bag. This really speeds things up. I transferred via LHR T5 on Monday and went through transfer security in 2-3 minutes and the airport was pretty busy.
    BA were also letting people check-in bags for free at Heathrow, which also reduces security times.

JD_84
    Participant

Just been through T5, Fast Track is free flowing, main search is around a 5 to 10 minute queue.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I thought the exemption on removing liquids and laptops only applies to LCY. Is it working that way at LHR too? great, if so as I will flying to Rome next week with hand luggage only.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Justin Germany
    Participant

I think LCY is ahead in that as well as being able to leave everything in the bag for scanning, there are no 100ml liquid limits anymore either. I’m not sure if all lanes at LHR T5 are the same as the transfer lane, perhaps the “leave everything in” rule is only being tested at the transfer lane? Can anyone confirm?

MarkCymru
    Participant

They have a few advanced machines at T3 and T5. — I’ve had them at T3 transfer — but not universal and I don’t think there’s any formal change to the 100ml rule

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls