Heathrow-Gatwick Link

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

tolotaxi
    Participant

This may sound stupid, but instead of a third runway and sixth terminal at Heathrow, the government could build a Maglev train to connect Heathrow with Gatwick and possibly Stansted. It could cost below £3 billion, as opposed to £9 billion for a new runway and terminal at LHR, and take 10 mins LGW-LHR and 15 mins STN-LHR. This could allow BA to make Gatwick a purely European base, with passengers using the Maglev to connect to all long haul flights from Heathrow. I have based the overall cost and time figures on the Shanghai Pudong maglev to downtown Pudong.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

This has been covered a touch alread tolo – one of the problems on such a long connection would be security as am assuming you are suggesting a “transitting” type affair which avoids the need of multiple airside crossings.

Bucksnet
    Participant

A totally stupid proposal.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I can’t see this ever getting planning permission, maglev lines through some of the best NIMBY territory in the south east? Never.

Binman62
    Participant

Better still build Boris Island, the only practical solution to the UK need for a world class, 24 hour operational airport.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Northolt is close enough….

tolotaxi
    Participant

Yes I was thinking of a ‘transmitting’ system. Sorry that it’s already been covered, I didn’t realise. Could Northolt viably operate as a short haul airport in its own right, with an airside train to Heathrow, or would it be a satellite terminal and runway to Heathrow, I would guess the latter.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls