Headphones recommendations

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

Been a Boser Poser with various QC’s over the years and its time to renew. Time to change brand? There are a lot more out there now and rather than go through the various, often biased reviews thought I would ask the people that actually use noise cancelling out in the wild.
    Recommendations?

My only real criteria apart from being good is they must be full over ear, not on ear. I cannot wear anything that fully rests on the ears or anything that sits in the ears

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

These are my favourite ones

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-1000xm5

I have a much earlier model, and they have lasted very well and still have a superb sound.

1 user thanked author for this post.

FDOS
    Participant

Depends what you are looking to achieve – Bose has superb noise cancelling algorithms, but not necessarily the best music reproduction.

I use Bose QC15 (in ear) on long flights, as I find the cancellation of the noise makes the journey less wearing.

YMMV.

esselle
    Participant

I’ve tried other makes over the years, but keep coming back to Bose. The over ear comfort, noise cancelling and sound quality make for an optimal balance in my view.

Huitsix
    Participant

Hi Steve, I share the views expressed above, namely that Bose noise cancelling algorithm is top of its class.

I personally have a Sony WH-1000XM3 and there are 2 further generations released since (XM4 and XM5) which are truly EXCELLENT products.

However my advice would be to try the various headphones on. Each person’s morphology being different make it impossible to predict what works best.

I usually use these headphones for long-haul flights and they are very comfortable at first due to sound insulation + noise cancelling algorithm. But after a few hours, the very small pressure if the headphones on a specific part of my ear turn into discomfort and then even slight pain.

So the best is to try then on and see what works best for you.

Check the latest Bose & Sony as I would say they are truly the best, and also consider JBL, Sennheiser and Philips.

In my opinion physical comfort should overrule any other criteria.

Hope this helps.

lostantipod
    Participant

Another vote for Sony wh-1000 series. My Bose broke en route to Sydney (inexplicably, one side stopped working) and I picked up the Sonys at the stopover duty free after checking a few online reviews ….so it was a rushed purchase – no regrets !

Stowage222
    Participant

Well Steve, I have been a Bose fan for many years. I’ve upgraded from the original NC phones and now use the QC45 wireless system. Each time I trade in via Bose UK and get at least a £100 discount once they receive your old phones. They provide the packaging and postage so nice and easy. I too only go for over ear and have worn them on all travel (plane & train) and I’m very happy with the sound and cancelling.

drykl
    Participant

I really like the Sony 1000XM5 that Tom has suggested.

Extremely comfortable and super sound quality.

stevescoots
    Participant

Thanks for the input everyone. looks like i have to visit the Sony shop to try them on.

wasnt aware Bose uk do a trade in, wonder in they do that in Saigon or Hong Kong stores

Swissdiver
    Participant

There are in my view two criteria to consider: noise reduction and kind of sound we like, the latter being of course very subjective. As far as I am concerned, I’m still with my wired Bose headset and love it. I am not a fan of the Sony sound, not a few others I tried over the year. And I don’t like wireless. So this is it…

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

Steve, Bose do offer the trade in option in HK

It was offered when I contacted the service department to check on getting a minor repair done. The Bose shop did not offer the repair service or mention a trade in option

I took the trade in route, a courier arrived, collected the old set. 5 days later received the new pair. Trade in was 800 HKD even though my old pair needed new ear pads.

stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1344509]

agreed, i prioritize noise reduction over sound quality. I tend to use mine travelling just for IFE , lap top movies. I am no audiophile, at home i dont use cans just my trusty late 80s Technics separates for Vinyl and hard wired to my PC for streaming & gaming, the early 90 marantz system for for jazz and classical when in the mood as i find it has better sound for those styles. Of course its always subjective, she who must be obeyed thinks they are both rubbish but that might just be what i play lol

2 users thanked author for this post.

Johnnyg
    Participant

stevescoots

80s Technics separates for Vinyl,, Technics 1200s by any chance?

My partners daughter travels quite a bit, she swears by her Sony M5’s , having previous had M3 and M4’s. She also has a pair of Bowers and Wilkins PX7’s which she also swears by for noise cancelling. One pair for home and one for travelling. Apparently both of them equally good. I can recommend the Sony M5’s.

A lesser well known make which I have previously owned is Lindy.

As I am a big audiobook fan, and when a fairly quiet cabin permits I have a sleepmask with built in bluetooth speakers. One of my best purchases.

stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1345201]

yes indeed SL1200 Mk2, could never afford them back in the 80s but got a full separates system still with original packaging off eBay a few years ago for the princely sum of £90

superchris
    Participant

I recently bought some Bose QC45, my first foray into noise reducing headphones, Brilliant for working from home. I was confused that despite not having a visible mic they have a great mic incorporated and enables me to have a conversation in a busy coffee shop with the folks on the other end not able to hear a thing. Cant wait for my first long haul flight – highly recommend.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls