Guadalajara tips

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

My lords and masters are pushing me to go to Mexico, specifically Guadalajara. (flat out refused Juarez in the past) I don’t want to really because I hate doing the RTW trips (and the cost!) so apart from usual traveler beware tips going anywhere new us seasoned travelers already know, any first hand suggestions or recommendations re hotels, places to avoid? and if going onto HKG from there would it be better to go strait from MEX or from GDL back up north of the border first?

cwoodward
    Participant

Its a big dirty industrial city I which I spent a day some years back and have never been inclined to return.
    As I recall the airport is large and basic.

If returning to HKG I feel that your best bet would be one stop via Chicago using Aeromexico and Cathay Pacific (in about 22.5 hours) as almost all other options are 2 stops and take over 26 hours !
    I don’t envy you the trip Steve

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jorge
    Participant

Hey Steve,

GDL is pretty nice. If you want to live in a neighborhood with lots of things to do, Americana is pretty good for foreigners. You’ll have great cafes, restaurants, galleries and in general a pretty cool vibe. You are close to the historic downtown but also close to other commercial areas in town.

Guadalajara is filled with trees and parks. The Colomos Park boasts a forest a bird lake and a Japanese Garden. This is probably the best spot for morning exercise and the surrounding neighborhoods are pretty nice too. Metropolitan Park is another good place with a lake too. Every Sunday several of the main avenues in the city are closed to traffic form 8.00pm to 2.00pm so pedestrians can use them for recreational activities.

Downtown is filled with wonderful churches and museums. The Nuestra Señora de Aranzazú, the Cathedral and the Expiatory Temple (Neo-Gothic) are incredible architectural landmarks. Additionally the Cabañas Museum (UNESCO site) boasts wonderful murals and exhibitions. The Degollado Theater and the Regional Museum are also wrothwile visiting.

Besides GDL downtown Tlaquepaque is like a small town inside the city filled with extraordinary artisan stores and great food. This is a must visit place.

If you are keen on exploring Shopping Malls, Landmark, Andares, La Perla, Midtown and Galerias are great bets

For golf you can chose a wide range of places but some require a member to invite you. Some noteworthy golf courses are Las Lomas, Santa Anita, El Cielo, Atlas Country, Country Club, Valle Imperial among others.

Must try restaurants in town I would suggest: Alcalde (No 37 of World’s 50 Best Restaurants of 2023), La Docena Punto Sao Paulo, La Vaca Argentina (Andares), il Duomo (Americas), La Tequila (Av. Mexico) and for more local floclore: Tortas Toño (several locations), Tacos los de Guadalupe, Tacos Alteños (also known as Tacos Parados), Kamilos 33 and Birrieria el Chololo.

Finally please note that Guadalajara is a 30-60 mins drive from old Haciendas turned into luxury hotels, Tequila town to learn to taste Tequila as it should, Lake Chapala and Ajijic (this is the largest lake in Mexico), hiking trails, forest trails and Magical Towns with cobble stone streets (like Tapalpa).

Hope this short guide helps…

5 users thanked author for this post.

Jorge
    Participant

What a way to dismiss a beautiful city. Clearly your budget did not allow for you to enjoy its dinning and entertainment scene or you are the kind of traveler that thinks most places are awful except where you call home. Either case…you are definitely not a cultural ambassador and your comments are not to be taken seriously…

2 users thanked author for this post.

maxgeorge
    Participant

Cerveza de barril served in big round mugs, crunchy tortas, bargains in leather good (usually a light tan colour) and an easy ride down to the golden beaches of Barra de Navidad on the coast.

At an altitude of over 1500m, the climate is pleasant, and I thought the main square, Plaza Tapatío, rather more impressive than the Zócalo in DF.

But as with Mr CW above, it’s been a few years since I was there.

cwoodward
    Participant

Jorge
    I wrote to Steve what I knew from a 20 hour business visit and that I declared was minimal.
    I called it as was my impression some 17 years ago

To take offence at my post is being perhaps just a little reactionary….

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls