Ground collision Istanbul airport TK A321 loses tailfin

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Nasty ground collision between Asiana A330 and Turkish Airlines A321 at IST earlier today.

Report and pic from Turkish media.

http://www.kokpit.aero/asiana-thy-kuyrugunu-bicti

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Video on Youtube.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Good grief.

Looks as if the A321 was waiting for stand guidance/marshalling and the Asiana A330 didn’t realise there was reduced clearance and came through at a fairly quick taxi speed.

Given the relatively high speed, I wonder what repairs will be needed? Aside from the A321s vertical stabiliser, I wonder if any damage has been caused to the A330s main spar?

JohnHarper
    Participant

The TK A321 was TK-JMM operating TK969 ECN-IST, guess who was on it!

We were holding short of the gate I believe because the guidance system was not illuminated – we were about 20 mins early.

Mrs JH and I were a little shaken but are fine this morning. TK staff were amazing.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

John

So pleased both of you were not injured – that must have a been a loud bang πŸ™

IanFromHKG
    Participant

So we now have a new Top Trumps parameter – A330 wing vs A321 tail fin…

JohnHarper and Mrs JH – glad to hear you are alright

FDOS – can’t help wondering if there was some damage to the A321’s undercarriage – that took a fairly significant sideways jolt too by the look of it. Not to mention the pressure bulkhead at the aft of the passenger cabin

In light of the SFO incident, I can’t help but wonder if the Asiana co-pilot was thinking “Wow, we’re really close to that other aircraft, I wonder if I should say something?”

FDOS_UK
    Participant

FDOS – can’t help wondering if there was some damage to the A321’s undercarriage – that took a fairly significant sideways jolt too by the look of it. Not to mention the pressure bulkhead at the aft of the passenger cabin

You could be right, that was some impact.

Considering the length of the A330 wing and the force of the impact, I bet they have to do some type of non-destructive test on the main spar, to check that the stress incurred has not caused any hidden damage.

It will be interesting to see if either aircraft is written off by insurers.

I’m not a big aircraft pilot, but I have flown out of large airports and seem commercial operations – everything is very stressed when busy, the radio calls come like machine gun fire and it all revolves around moving big iron quickly to make best use of the assets.

I suspect that the A330 crew were busy during the taxi and assumed that they had adequate clearance as they were hugging the taxiway centre line – you can’t see your wing tips from the flight deck of a big jet. Maybe the A231 crew made a radio call to say they were holding short and it got ‘stood on’ by another call, so the A330 crew didn’t hear it – the taxi phase of a flight is full of peril (not necessarily life threatening) and in the US there used to be some airlines who would only let the captain taxi the aircraft – don’t know if this is still true today.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls