Gouda and Dolcelatte? Oh, no it wasn't

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• FlyANZ1
    Participant

I have to admit, I’ve had quite a good few flights with ba mixed fleet crews, some of them have been flying for years like my last flight, the lovely lady had been flying 17 years, so don’t just think they are young, and inexperienced, I’ve flew with some of the other older crew too as had some fantastic flights but some also not so good ones too.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=864345]I guess I have reached the age/life experience/common sense/realization of what makes me happy that I have to ask why anyone with a lifeis wasting their time and effort on this topic.[/quote]

AKA becoming a grumpy old (insert preferred expletive)?

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=864255]

And as a cheese lover myself, it does seem a bit odd, after all, and TOH2, I’d love to know……Isn’t Gouda only allowed to be called Gouda if its made I Holland ?

No, if you just call it Gouda – or Edam – there’s no PGI (Protected Geographical Indication). If ‘Holland’ is added to the name, then it must be Dutch.

The Geeks successfully managed to get PGI for feta cheese some years back.[/quote]

Despite the fact that Feta was originally Danish 🙂

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Didn’t know that!

esselle
    Participant

Not so. The Danes used to sell a cheese using the name Feta until the Greeks got them to stop. It originates from Greece.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=866151]Not so. The Danes used to sell a cheese using the name Feta until the Greeks got them to stop. It originates from Greece.[/quote]

I know from experience, that the Danes very much dispute that – right or wrong 🙂
    However, I stand corrected and lay the blame firmly at the feet of the Danes who have filled my head full of so much cheesy nonsense over the years!!

No matter – interesting story here (unrelated to the origin)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/greeks-lose-right-to-claim-feta-as-theirs-1081353.html

More cheesy fun here:

esselle
    Participant

Bit like the Cypriots who managed to protect Halloumi from invaders.

Oddly nobody has tried to nick “brown cheese” from the Norwegians. But I guess once you’ve tasted it…….

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls