Given up on the shuttle – too expensive

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

Tony-UK
    Participant

I used to use the Manchester to Heathrow shuttle about once a month as the “no bags” fare was only marginally more expensive then getting the train and I preferred to use the shuttle. However, as part of the changes to prices/Avios you no longer can choose a seat (as a Silver member) in advance unless you pay £7 each way. This was the last straw for me and I now use the train. What is more galling is that BA do not seem to have passed on savings from the drop in oil prices to its customers. Am I alone in starting to feel disenfranchised by BA?

Nogbad01
    Participant

I too use this service approx. once per month. Prices have been steadily rising over the last year (as far as I can see anyway). I guess the lack of any competition with the demise of Little Red means they can charge what they like.
    Still gritting teeth and paying, but getting close to the limit.

Tony-UK
    Participant

Also forgot to mention that you also get reduced Avios now…

Edski777
    Participant

A fair price seems to be what they get away with. But Tony, is it really that important to select a seat on a flight of less than 45 minutes?

I fly to London and MAN on a regular basis from AMS. It is that KLM let you select a seat for free, but otherwise on such short flights? I can do without. The best departure times are more important to me.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Simple economics, BA probably prefers to fill its Manchester to London flight with connecting passengers, it will raise fares because of lack of competition on the Manchester to LHR sector because it can and probably as a disincentive to people purely using that sector rather than connecting. BA’s European network is to feed its longhaul Heathrow operation. Most airlines are heavily hedged so while the low oil price may have you questioning why airlines aren’t automatically passing on savings, they aren’t really benefiting to the degree you think, also even if they were it’s unlikely they would be in a hurry to pass on that saving.

Tony-UK
    Participant

The argument on hedging of oil prices is wearing thin, airlines were quick enough to raise fuel surcharges when oil prices increased. I am booking trips well into next year and the surcharges look as high as ever.

SimonS1
    Participant

BA indicated at the last investor presentation that it would be well into 2016 before the impact of hedging ran off and the lower oil price started making a real difference.

Still I suppose it’s a good chestnut to keep wheeling out when giving BA a beating.

As far as London to Manchester is concerned it’s about supply and demand. People didn’t use Little Red when there was an alternative. Ditto the issue of seats, personally I can survive 45 mins without having to have my preferred seat.

But I agree with the OP, if it doesn’t work for you then vote with your feet.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

No, you are not alone, this is a joke for Silver members. Yes you can survive 45 mins in a middle seat down the back, but that is not the point.
    I wouldn’t even contemplate flying from MAN to LON, unless I had a direct connection off to somewhere else.
    Take the train.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls