Gibraltar – this years first new destination

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Looking for some recommendations where to stay for a 1 night visit next week with a colleague (good 3 or 4 star will be suitable). We are arriving the night before, so have an evening off for R & R… any recommendations would be appreciated.

My meeting will be in the Governor Street area…

Many thanks

Rockhopper
    Participant

I always stay in at the Rock Hotel when in Gibraltar. Its not in town but nowhere is really far in Gib. Its an old fashioned colonial hotel and watching the sun set over the bay with a G&T at the Rock is a timeless experience. I believe the Sunbourn Yacht hotel is also good.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

The The O’Callaghan Eliott Hotel is convenient located on Governor’s Parade. Worth a look.

Charles-P
    Participant

Last time I was in Gib it was the Rock Hotel I used as well. Nice old Empire feel about it.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I stayed at the Caleta – liked it very much – quiet, though, on the other side of the Rock.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

I second the Caleta. Very nice hotel with great seaside views and morning sun. Regular buses into town or a decent walk if you want the exercise. Bonus are the monkeys who like to visit the area. Photo below is taken less than 100 yards from the Caleta and shows the leader of a group of monkeys who were raiding an orange tree nearby. Also posted a pic of the warning sign they put in the hotel!

Picture1

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I also enjoyed the Rock Hotel Martyn, but it was about 3 years ago when I was last there. I seem to recall the yacht club was a bit run down bit can’t comment on the hotel.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I learnt a new lesson today.

Try to find a hotel in walking distance of your meeting.

Stayed last night at the Caleta hotel which was perfect.

However, due to a rockfall we are stuck in the hotel and unable to get to our meeting. My colleague was quite adamant, next time, a hotel in walking distance.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

After waiting for over an hour and no sign of the promised taxi, one of the hotel staff, took it upon themselves to offer us a lift into the town. As one of the managers said, “we want you to come back and stay”. The hotel certainly went out of their way to ensure we got to our meeting.

The rest of the day went smoothly and we ended up outside on the airport lounge terrace in wonderful sunshine waiting for the flight home.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls