Getting a great Business Class Fare on SIA

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

David

As others have noted above, SQ is skilled at marketing its flights and especially in business class.

One reason why it cannot afford to price cheaply in Europe is because the SQ business class layout on its B777-300ERs and A380s is only four across so, clearly, the operating costs are higher.

But another factor is that, as a global carrier, SQ can pick and choose its best, ie most lucrative, markets

If Europeans are unwilling to pay its high prices then SQ will simply fill its planes with travellers based in Asia and Australasia where the demand is stronger and where the currency values are higher too.

Senator
    Participant

Hi,

I have a partial answer to this question.

LHR-SIN via ZRH booked under codeshare with Swiss has a Z-class fare for around £2000 return. The ZRH-SIN will be on SQ A380.

From ITA.
    Fare 1: Carrier LX ZICSWIUK LON to SIN (rules)
    Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code Z
    Covers LHR-ZRH (Business), ZRH-SIN (Business) 805,00 £

Fare 2: Carrier LX ZICSWIUK SIN to LON (rules)
    Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code Z
    Covers SIN-ZRH (Business), ZRH-LCY (Business) 805,00 £

LX YQ surcharge (YQ) 196,80 £
    Swiss Airport Passenger Security & Noise Charge (CH) 35,80 £
    United Kingdom Air Passengers Duty (GB) 170,00 £
    United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB) 22,19 £
    Singapore Passenger Service Charge (SG) 7,00 £
    Singapore Aviation Levy (OP) 3,10 £
    Singapore Passenger Security Service Charge (OO) 4,00 £

Subtotal per passenger 2 048,89 £
    Number of passengers x1

Total airfare & taxes 2 048,89 £

Hktbound
    Participant

Thanks, senator, as ppskrisflyer and cityprofessional above for all spotting this, exactly in the price range I was seeking, although limited a a Z class fare it answers my question. As the layover can be overnight I think I will avoid being downgraded if SIA are overbooked, (great advice again from ppskrisflyer) because I am checking in hours early and will have a boarding pass before many others – that’s the theory!
    But problem solved, I can get to Singapore on SIA on an lx codeshare for comparable and not double or triple price points, thanks everyone.

Senator
    Participant

David,

Glad I could help. A suggestion is to fly from LHR in the night before as you say, and spend the night at the Radisson Blu or the Hilton at ZRH. I use the Hilton frequently, and I am very happy with the experience there (as a HH Diamond VIP).

With a feeder flight from Stockholm on BA for a mere £280 in CE, I may actually take advantage of this offer myself 🙂

Also note that the Z-class have some flexibility in the fare.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

David,

I really wish you all the luck in the world with this but be cautious, while SIA seem to downgrade at check in, early check in does not prevent it happening. I was coming back with a no status colleague (*G) from SIN a couple of months ago, I did online check in, he couldn’t. We headed for the airport very early as we had business at the eastern end of the island. He had been ‘pre-selected’ for a new seat with no explanation or apology and was issued with a green boarding pass. I waded in and complained saying we must sit together as we had work to do. SIA are the only airline that could come up with the solution of offering to downgrade me too!

We both went off to a meeting fuming – I didn’t take the downgrade. Something must have happened while we were out because when we went to the lounge we were approached and a new boarding card for the seat next to mine was produced. At the gate, we saw two other people being ‘reseated’ from C to Y. F had eight empty seats!

Hktbound
    Participant

Hi Senator
    I just spoke with Swiss on this and the say if I book with Swiss.com and call them after they will pay for a night in a local hotel for me as its an enforced overnight which is a bonus!

Thanks again for your help and advice!

Senator
    Participant

PPSKrisflyer,

Interesting post, and looking at your name you have the authority on SQ matters. I have been on SQ only twice long-haul (B747s) from AMS-SIN and SIN-CDG a few years back. In both cases, several pax where upgraded from C to F at the gate.

Downgrade should be the last alternative, after an offer for a move to different carrier.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Senator,

Upgrades on SIA used to happen in line with strict hierarchical procedures and only PPS members ever seemed to get them and then it was in line of years qualified.

They dried up when the A380 was introduced and there seemed to be a determination that no one who didn’t pay the R class fare would sit in a suite. The thinking was rolled out to the 773ER soon afterwards where IMO the F seat is poor.

Although things have relaxed a little around the A380 and there are now F and A fares available on some routes the culture around upgrades seems to have stuck.

As anyone who travels with them regularly knows SIA have a corporate level of arrogance which is breath taking. Just look at the feedback on the new website to get some idea of the fact that they don’t go back on decisions they make. They also make up their own rules when it suits them and get away with it. I think downgrades are here to stay.

ivornomates
    Participant

what planet is OP on ? how can he expect to pay Swiss fares for SG biz class, there simply is no comparison. Swiss is division 3 compared to SG.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Swiss are an excellent airline in almost all regards, I’m not sure who SG are though.

MarcusUK
    Participant

She the feelings and experience on SQ. There are and have been some variations they have featured in…specifically…

They did have a sale when their cash ran low 3 yrs ago, and LHR-SYD went for £399, and J for £1799 bookable 6 months ahead!
    They currently want £4,400+ return.

Last year i flew from CDG -SIN-ALK on SQ (A380 / 777-300ER), so same seats all the way, rather than LHR. This saved £400.

Currently, from DXB / AUH – SIN-SYD or AKL, you save £1,000, from £1,620.

Sometimes a World travel centre in NL’s or Orbitz in converted currency rates, do make a saving.

These are good times to redeem miles as their value are worth much more, though SQ certainly had restrictions on their A380 cabin and 777-300ER layouts.

Hktbound
    Participant

Proliteboss – Whatever planet OP is on, the point is, that it IS in fact possible to pay swiss fare for SQ Business class- Via a Swiss codeshare we have found comparable fares which was the object of the exercise and the post.

Also had some great and useful advice particularly from ppskrisflyer and Senator.

Interestingly, online news on todays business travelller website is that Thai will introduce Copenhagen-Phuket directly from November making the journey even easier. Shame they are using the 747s though as theres a chance some of the old old old business class currently used in Madrid and Rome and sometimes London routes could be used – I try and abvoid Thai 747s!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls