Gender-specific toilets on aircraft

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I gather ANA are putting women-only toilets on their new Dreamliners. I will refrain from asking or commenting on whether that is a good idea or whether it would really work in practice (or why they think it is necessary…), but it did make me wonder idly if urinals should be introduced? What do others think?

RichHI1
    Participant

Toilets in Japan seem to be either fully electronic all singing all dancing complete with pictorial instructions in Tokyo to a hole in the ground with footpritns in the countryside. One wonders which ANA are installing.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

The snazzy ones, Rich. Per the BBC: “Japan’s ANA is the first airline to launch Boeing’s much-delayed and much-anticipated 787, nicknamed the Dreamliner. And in all classes, ANA is introducing select women-only bathrooms, and outfitting all bathrooms with windows and the Japanese-style bidet-toilets known as Washlets, which offer warm, pressurized water jets for a fresher clean than one-ply paper. They’re common in Japan and will surely make a splash internationally.”

Of course, one expects puns like that in the red-tops, but really, to see Auntie Beeb stooping so low (sorry) is something of a disappointment!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Silverjet had gender-specific toilets, which it used to great effect in this simple ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ntu-sq60A8

cityprofessional
    Participant

Doesn’t LH have urinals on its A380s?

RichHI1
    Participant

I think any belief this is to advance male rigths even in Japan is misguided. Looking at the seat map for long haul, Business you have 3 toilets, 1 of which has baby diaper changing facilities. Similarly you have two toilets in coach plus oine which has disabled access. Either way we may see some long lines of men or women waiting for the toilet. I suspect it is due to Japanese cultural issues particularly after a few sakes. Japan does have ladies only cars on the subway for similar reasons.
    Having seen the recent post under only in US airspace we will probably see some of our US friends suing for a Gay Friendly toilet next…
    I would prefer a separation on civilized people who leave the toilet as they find it , clean with the seat down and the wash bowl clean and empty and the pigs who seem to use them most of the time…

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Ladies-only train carriages I can understand – safer environment, no gropers, etc. But toilets? On a plane? By and large, I thought they tended to be occupied by only one person at a time (and on the rare occasions that they are not, it was my understanding it was generally by mutual consent!)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls