GDPR – opt in opt out

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am being inundated by company’s via email to either opt in or opt out.

As far as travel related companies are concerned….

Cunard – emails virtually daily, despite confirming “In”

Nothing though from BA, LH, Business Traveller, travel firm booking my tickets

Interestingly, Manchester United have emailed me (and called me – not sure why) but Sheffield Wednesday haven’t…

I realise there are new data protection rules coming in, but how necessary are these opt in and opt outs and is there any implication re travel, if I am not sent an email…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=866971]I am being inundated by company’s via email to either opt in or opt out.

As far as travel related companies are concerned….

Cunard – emails virtually daily, despite confirming “In”

Nothing though from BA, LH, Business Traveller, travel firm booking my tickets

Interestingly, Manchester United have emailed me (and called me – not sure why) but Sheffield Wednesday haven’t…

I realise there are new data protection rules coming in, but how necessary are these opt in and opt outs and is there any implication re travel, if I am not sent an email…[/quote]

In theory, if you do not opt in, the companies should take that as you declining and automatically delete your records.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

This will be interesting then, as I have not had any requests from my bank or HMRC.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=866978]This will be interesting then, as I have not had any requests from my bank or HMRC.[/quote]

Consent is not necessarily a requirement of GDPR, there are several lawful bases for processing data

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/lawful-basis-for-processing/

(If you are suffering from insomnia, this will cure it).

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I have received a GDPR notification from about 10% of the entities I have a relationship with. As with all legislation whilst GDPR seems to be targeted at MNC´s, SME´s and the like , other entities get caught in the tail winds which possibly was not the intention. Are government departments exempt? Most of the GDPR information I have read relates to businesses that market goods, services etc and in so doing acquire substantial information on customers and that needs to be protected. I am President of a medium size Residents Association, 400+ members who pay a small annual subscription. The only data we keep is name, address, email, telephone number. We do not market/sell anything . We keep members up to date on issues that affect them in the area. So do we need to get their consent?. The fact they have paid a subscription, is that an implicit consent?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=867013]I have received a GDPR notification from about 10% of the entities I have a relationship with. As with all legislation whilst GDPR seems to be targeted at MNC´s, SME´s and the like , other entities get caught in the tail winds which possibly was not the intention. Are government departments exempt? Most of the GDPR information I have read relates to businesses that market goods, services etc and in so doing acquire substantial information on customers and that needs to be protected. I am President of a medium size Residents Association, 400+ members who pay a small annual subscription. The only data we keep is name, address, email, telephone number. We do not market/sell anything . We keep members up to date on issues that affect them in the area. So do we need to get their consent?. The fact they have paid a subscription, is that an implicit consent?[/quote]

Does the GDPR apply to me?

No Name
    Participant

For consent based emailing, a company that does B2C marketing needs to ask for opt-in if they don’t have the records to show that you have already opted-in. So you may not receive email from your bank for two reasons.
    1. They already have your consent or
    2. they can demonstrate another legal basis for emailing you.
    Yes, I’ve read every word of the GDPR and PECR regulations… can’t wait for the e-privacy regulations to come in later this year… YAWN.. but I do sympathise, I’ve seen a run in the last few days…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls