Gatwick to Jakarta

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

DerekChilvers
    Participant

Is the Gatwick CEO joking when he asserts that Jakarta is “a major hub airport for South East Asia” or … ?

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

It is a fairly major hub, it’s not SIN or BKK but it is busy. Indonesia itself is a fairly huge country made up of lots of mountains and islands so apart from anything else the domestic market is not small.

I don’t think the market for the direct service will be huge but it will be there and as the Indonesian economy grows so will the route.

In the short term, it will probably do some good keeping fares to Aus under control.

Binman62
    Participant

It is a huge airport and surprisingly pleasent to use. Myriad of lounges lots of open areas. It is not Changi and I would not like to get stuck there in disruption, but it is probably a step up from South terminal at LGW!

DerekChilvers
    Participant

I agree there are numerous domestic flights that one can connect to via CGK. What I was questioning was the Gatwick guy’s reference to CGK being a major hub for SE Asia. I can’t see flying from anywhere in Europe or the US to anywhere in SE Asia (ex Indonesia) via CGK whch is way south of that region. I do note Henkel.Trocken’s mention of flying ex Australia and that had not occurred to me. But with so many direct flights from Aus/NZ to most SE Asian airports I would question whether CGK qualifies as a “major hub for SE Asia” in that direction either (and, in any case, LGW would not be involved).

KSHaggag
    Participant

That route from LGW to CGK will indeed be a good addition to the Skyteam portfolio of connections linking Europe with South East Asia and consequently Australia .Currently ,Skyteam fans and lovers are far from being spoilt for choice on that axis Europe/SE Asia/Australia ;I can only recall China Airlines ,also Korean Air ( via Northeast Asia ) ,plus AF,KL and maybe SU via Moscow ;compared to Star and Oneworld options ,Skyteam is still lagging here …

AMcWhirter
    Participant

KSHaggag –

In the UK, Skyteam is the weakest alliance for travel to Australia and NZ. You are correct in that Garuda will offer a good addition to the airlines mentioned.

However, one carrier you’ve left out is China Southern via CAN,

KSHaggag
    Participant

Thanks LondonCity !..

Right you are !..I felt there was someone missing but I could not really identify who !..I always skip them ,I don t know why ….
    GA is a quality carrier nowadays that can climb steadily and rival SQ,CX,MH in terms of quality services on board and on the ground albeit at a much smaller scale given its still limited international network both in Asia and elsewhere …Its codeshare with Etihad is one step on the road but still cannot cater to the needs of intercontinental travellers everywhere ..I am sure KLM will back it too ( traditional historic cooperation and strong ties between Indonesia and the Netherlands speak for themselves ) ….Just the fact that GA as a future Skyteam member will connect AMS to AUH to CGK onwards to SYD ,PER,HKG,SHA and others comes as refreshing news to Skyteam fans ..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls