Gatwick North Chaos

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

BlackTower
    Participant

Is it just me or is Gatwick north now unusable?

I missed a flight using Valet parking which is now on the third floor of a tight multistory. There was only one staff member who took ages to check me in and then I had no change for trolleys. Whole process took 30 minutes!

End result holiday 1 day shorter.

Drop off now Chaos too. All because of bomb fears I understand?

pomerol
    Participant

Blacktower

Since the attempted car bombing at Glasgow airport sometime ago, drop off at all UK airports is restricted.

From what you have said, you were working to a pretty tight time frame, which is always risky, we have the luxury to be able to arrive and check in at Gatwick, at least 2 to 3 hours before departure, so we are able to avail ourselves of the excellent facillities of the BA lounge.

CharlieBrown
    Participant

Hello BlackTower,

It appears the Valet parking didn’t quite provide what it was supposed to – convenience. I’m sure this was very irritating, particularly as you think of the multitude of travel options to and from Gatwick.

On the point of check-in however I can’t say I’ve ever experienced slow service. Quite the contrary. I fly BA through LGW regularly without ever having to queue for a check-in kiosk. Furthermore I rarely queue at the bag drop desks. When I have the wait was a few minutes at most. BA staff at Gatwick are polite, attentive and helpful, a service that I’d appreciate at other airports certainly. Any problems at check-in are attributable to the relevant airline and/or ground handler rather than the airport itself. As a frequent flyer I never use baggage trolleys. They probably cater more to the leisure traveller with disposable time. I prefer instead to take wheeled luggage or a hold-all with my laptop case.

I understand your frustration reagarding restrictive drop off measures however this responds to such events, as identified by Pomerol, like the Glasgow bomb attack. They are designed to protect the traveller and unintentially inconvenience. Thus it is easy to find fault with such policy. I would pat anyone on the back for getting even vaguely close to the entrance of Edinburgh airport!

Best regards.

pomerol
    Participant

Thomas-Brown

I think BlackTower was alluding to the check in at the Valet Parking, not to BA check in.

The BA CE check in is, in my experience first class, I can not remember ever waiting more than a few minutes to check in.

The Fast Track security is certainly hit and miss.

I leave today at 16:45 from BOD-LGW and return on the Sunday the 19th. will post a report.

Safe journey everyone

CharlieBrown
    Participant

Oh sorry, quickly reading this thread on a Blackberry you see!

My experience certainly mirrors yours Pomerol. Check-in is excellent although the fast track lane is unreliable, if ever open. It would be nice to speak of a LGW Galleries lounge in the near future if plans ever come to fruition. I connect through North Terminal next Tuesday.

Best regards.

BlackTower
    Participant

Quite, its the valet parking/carpark/trolleys/drop off that is now a disaster.

Can anyone comment upon the LT parking transfer now?

NTarrant
    Participant

I used the long term parking a few weeks ago, which was the first time for a few months. The general service has not changed although the drop off and pick up point is unchanged it is not well signed due to the building works. Then you have to cut your way through the smokers to get in the building.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

NTarrant

Not wishing to start a new thread BUT the smokers outside T3 Heathow – there needs to be a passive smoking warning, lung cancer, come this way…………….!

NTarrant
    Participant

Martyn

The problem at LGW is I think because of the hordings which has blocked off the old smokey joes spot. I have not been to T3 for sometime, but know what you mean.

Nigel

pomerol
    Participant

Thomas-Brown

Departed from Gatwick on Sunday the 19th.September, arrived North Terminal 10:45, ramp to departures blocked by police, diverted to front of car park, trolleys available, access by auto walk way’s.

Arrived BA CE check in 11:00 as usual very efficiant and proceeded to Fast Track security on the right of check in, which was alive and kicking, and proceeded to the BA terraces Lounge at 11:15.

The Lounge was relatively quiet, and just going between the breakfast and lunch mode, we did our best to take advantage of both.

Our flight was delayed by 30 minutes, but because of this it was futher
    delayed 30 minutes to make 1 hour in total, I can give the reason’s for these delay’s, but would have to say, this is the first delay I can remember for 4 years that we have suffered.

Regardless of all the foregoing, it was a very enjoyable flight.

We look forward to our next flight in October.

pomerol
    Participant

Thomas-Brown

Departed from Gatwick on Sunday the 19th.September, arrived North Terminal 10:45, ramp to departures blocked by police, diverted to front of car park, trolleys available, access by auto walk way’s.

Arrived BA CE check in 11:00 as usual very efficiant and proceeded to Fast Track security on the right of check in, which was alive and kicking, and proceeded to the BA terraces Lounge at 11:15.

The Lounge was relatively quiet, and just going between the breakfast and lunch mode, we did our best to take advantage of both.

Our flight was delayed by 30 minutes, but because of this it was futher
    delayed 30 minutes to make 1 hour in total, I can give the reason’s for these delay’s, but would have to say, this is the first delay I can remember for 4 years that we have suffered.

Regardless of all the foregoing, it was a very enjoyable flight.

We look forward to our next flight in October.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls