Gatwick Express vs Southern et al

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• Anonymous

SwissExPat
    Participant

I will be traveling from Central London to Gatwick next week.

A quick scan of the availability and pricing on thetrainline.co.uk shows a Gatwick express departure from Victoria at 1145 hrs taking 30 mins and priced at stg19

Alternatively there is a southern service priced at stg10, taking 31 mins departing at 1147hrs [stops at CJnct and East Cry]

Why would anyone take the Express? Am I missing something?

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

The trains coming from South Coast can be busy – whereas the Gatwick Express at that time is generally pretty quiet and has more space. Depending on where you are going in London you may find that the First Capital Connect to London Bridge / Blackfriars / St Pancras may be better for you?

But if you don’t mind the Southern Service (I actually prefer these trains) and probably a much busier train – then just as good.

PatJordan
    Participant

The express is a non stop service betweenVictoria and Gatwick only and is there fore less crowded.

It has more luggage space, more comfortable seating. I think there is catering in board too, at an additional charge. There is a first class area too.

I have used both, and the express was a comfortable experience. However, Southern was perfectly acceptable: as a individual passenger, with little luggage finding a seat was no trouble, the train whilst busy was not overcrowded.

In all honesty, the Southern service was quite adequate for my needs.

However, there are times when the enhanced comfort and space on the express justify the additional cost.

Essentailly, SwissExPat, it’s down to your personal requirements at the time of travel.

Sorry to be a bit vague!

SimonS1
    Participant

I travel that way every day.

At 11.45am the trains will not be busy and GatEx is a waste of money. All it saves is about 5 minutes.

The Southern services also have first class and many have catering (if you really need it on a 30min trip).

Since GatEx changed to the 442 type trains I would say there is less baggage space not more, and you also have the hassle of getting on via the single doors at the carriage ends as opposed to the double doors at 1/3 and 2/3 length with Southern.

In peak times that GatEx has also been extended to/from Brighton now so picks up commuters as well as travellers.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi SwissExPat

Another tip, if you decide that you don’t need to pay a premium price for such a short journey, I’d save yourself some cash and pre-book the tickets through a website like Trainline, rather than purchasing on the day of travel.

You should save yourself at least £10, and dependant on your final destination some are through trains to the north of London.

andystock
    Participant

FCC – Cheapest – Super off Peak single only £4.95 with gold card. However the 317’s are dirty, windows full of grafiti and a very rough ride.

Southern – Much cheaper that Gat Ex, clean and modern trains, getting a seat off peak is no problem if it is an 8 or 12 card – walk towards the front of the train.

openfly
    Participant

Canucklad and Swissexpat…….beware of the Trainline. They add a charge of £4.50 for selling a ticket…rip off. They advertise the cheapest fares but they don’t mention the charge.

Pre book on Southernrailway.com….no fees and a reduced fare. Collect your ticket from the machines at Victoria by inserting the payment card….simples!

GreggyR
    Participant

As I’m based in the City of London, the FCC services via City Thameslink, Blackfriars & London Bridge are more convenient for me, rather than travelling to Victoria first.
    The journey is certainly more functional than comfortable, but I can get to LGW much quicker & easier this way.

Adey999
    Participant

Expat at that time of day there will be no problem with the southern service. Pre book on their website and you can collect it at Victoria or one of the other stations they serve if you pass through, you can also collect them in advance form one of their stations.
    Depending on the formation of the train sit in coach 4 or 5 if made of 8 coaches, they have wider seats and you will arrive into gatwick right next to the escalators.

andystock
    Participant

Best buying train tickets at redspottedHanky.com via topcashback.com as you get cash back, take it as club card points and then convert to avios or virgin miles. Unless on South West Trains, East Midland Trains or First Transpennine Express as they pay out a higher percentage.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Last year the memsahib took Southern. The train was extremely busy – but since Southern provided her the option of reserving a seat for a very modest charge that didn’t cause her any problems at all

Although she didn’t use it on that occasion she has subsequently (like andystock) discovered redspottedhanky.com, which offers some extraordinarily low fares. Late last year we got four return fares from Kent to London for less than the cost of one ticket on trainline.com!

SimonS1
    Participant

Southern do not offer seat reservations (the vast majority of journeys are walk up).

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/44703.aspx

You can indeed get some great off peak deals such as the ‘Four for Two’. Also for kids – travelcard for £2.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Huh – I was sure she had done. However, perhaps my recollection is faulty. And now I come to think about it, perhaps the key was that I persuaded her to buy first class, and that is why she was able to get a seat. Apologies if I misled anyone

HarryMonk
    Participant

For travel to LGW by train it is sometimes cheaper to buy two separate tickets, particularly for those in the London suburbs,

For example Local Station to East Croydon then East Croydon to LGW.

Both tickets can be bought at your local station (if it still has a ticket office !!!) and there is no need to get off the train at East Croydon.

The saving may only be £3 or £4 but it is nice to beat the train companies at there own game every now and then

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls