Funding Expedia’s Cashflow

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

M.Moose
    Participant

I recently made an online booking on Expedia for a hotel in NZ. Made the reservations in Mar and paid it full. 2 days ago (about 6 months later), I get an email from Expedia saying that the hotel cannot accommodate us due to unforeseen circumstances. When I called Expedia, they said it was due to the earthquakes in Feb. Excuse me, earthquake Feb, reservation Mar, you inform me in Sept???

They are willing to refund me the amount charged, but only in NZD.

So, essentially what has happened is my monies went to finance Expedia’s cash-flow for 6 months and now they are offering a refund (without interest!). I say Expedia because my credit card charge was by Expedia. Expedia claims they do not know why the hotel informed so late, but I told them that’s their problem. As a customer, I am making my reservations with Expedia – not the hotel directly.

As a result of this, I’ve also had to make last minute travel arrangements and pay additional amounts to secure alternative accommodation.

I’ve asked Expedia to bear the exchange rate charges as well as the additional cost in accommodation. They have said no on the phone but I’m waiting for a written response.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience and advise next course of action?

Thanks.

NTarrant
    Participant

What reason have they given for refunding you in NZD? If you paid for the room(s) in GBP then you would be entitled to a refund of the monies you paid as they are unable to accomodate you. It is true that a number of hotels in Christchurch are not opening or accepting bookings until late 2012, the Crowne Plaza is one and the Novotel is not until March 2012.

I found this website recently

http://www.christchurchnz.com/accommodation.aspx

and used it to find and book a hotel in Christchurch for January. It takes you directly to the individual hotels website.

Hope that helps, but Expedia do seem rather strange

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’d say it’s down to Expedia to find you similar accommodation. They took the booking and your money, they have to provide what you’ve paid for. Similar thing happened to me a few years back, and after I threatened them with legal proceedings just so they would be get the negative publicity, they caved in.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

About a year ago an overseas company made a refund to my credit card in local currency after I had paid in Sterling. This resulted in a financial loss in terms of the exchange rate plus a charge by the card company in relation to the overseas refund charge.

I knew it would be a waste of time calling the company involved so I spoke to the credit card company, they had all the proof of payment and they sorted the problem out within a week.

I hope this helps.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls