Fuel surcharges….here we go again!

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

There’s a good example because of this latest promotion.

British Airways launches half price Avios redemption offer

What’s interesting here is that the half price promotion applies to avios and money but not avios and part payment.

Confused?

Well, it’s because although this deal allows you to redeem your avios and enjoy a 50 percent reduction on the amount of avios for the flight, and you can pay for the flight using a combination of avios and money, when it comes to part payment, the offer does not include reducing the cost of the surcharge.

Since BA makes money from the surcharge, it will still make money on that surcharge.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Just checked out some BA “half avios” flights only to find that I can get a paid flight (to from LAX) for less than the extra charges on the so called cheap avios flights….a big laugh if it were not so silly…

Chutzpahflyer
    Participant

[quote quote=867891]when cashing in Avios it is a different matter,[/quote]

A couple of years ago I blew Avios on BA Club LHR-JFK, return from LAX for self and lovely wife – can’t remember how many Avios – a lot! – but remember paying something like £800 in taxes etc etc. From JFK to HNL, return to LAX in premium on Virgin miles – taxes etc $10 each!!! This makes no sense in comparative terms.

openfly
    Participant

Personally I think these half price Avios offers are quite good. As a Gold, you can go onto BA.com as a full fare and check what seats are available…em exits etc. Then start again to make the reduced Avios booking knowing which seats you can have.
    I try to avoid economy but I booked two CPT flights yesterday for 16,000 Avios return. But the charges were outrageous at £400. BA gives nothing away. I still think they are brilliant value for em exit seats for a 12 hour flight.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls