From Gold to nothing with BA – Racism

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• Anonymous

MrMichael
    Participant

Welcome to the forum AlfredPollo. But why take the effort of joining this forum to vent your spleen, surely it would have been easier to have taken it up with those that could do something about it. For the benefit of all travellers, if that happened, you should report it.

ConstantFlyer
    Participant

Sorry to hear that Mr Pollo. To be fair, the crew was probably grumpy due to having to get up at silly o’clock in the morning to spend four hours being humiliated by security at Tel Aviv Airport before even starting work.

GivingupBA
    Participant

ConstantFlyer, in my opinion even if it is true that “the crew was probably grumpy due to having to get up at silly o’clock in the morning to spend four hours being humiliated by security at Tel Aviv Airport before even starting work”, I suggest that that is absolutely no excuse for the comment Mr Pollo reported.

I expect I would be sacked for such a comment. And I believe that I would deserve it.

NTarrant
    Participant

Whilst there is no excuse for poor service, there is also no excuse for not complaining to BA after each instance. Yes they will more than likely apologise and give a number of Avios, but that is what other airlines also might do. They will not tell you that the member of staff has been dismissed or disciplined as they are not allowed to.

If you don’t complain then BA don’t have the opportunity to put things right, if things don’t improve and you still get problems, then go from gold to nothing.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

In those circumstances I would have told the crew they were being racist and perhaps shamed them into not doing it again.

I must admit I’d not be so brave if it was a bunch of skinheads in a pub!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Hmmmm…..

One time poster.

Name translates to an old video game (Alfred Chicken.)

Didn’t complaint to the airline, after multiple alleged instances of bad service.

Heard a term that I’ve never heard airline crew use (although they can say some really stupid things, in my experience) and which is related to a well know collection of music http://www.allmusic.com/album/klezmer-cafe-jew-zoo-mw0000033128

Then terms the whole airline racist, because of this alleged sentence from one employee out of 37,000.

My bet is the poster is either

(a) a troll

or

(b) some entity with a vested interest in damaging BA

Make up your own minds.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

LuganoPirate – 06/05/2016 06:48 BST

“People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it’s safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.”

Alexei Sayle (English comedian)

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I simply don’t believe the original post.
    I cannot imagine anyone at BA using racist slurs on board.

Edited to add – Looks like the original post has been removed.

SimonS1
    Participant

So yet another spineless OP who removes his/her posts when challenged. This really is a shortcoming of the current forum, that someone can make accusations of this type and then hide. Maybe ‘Alfred Chicken’ is an appropriate handle.

So there is some context to the remaining threat, this is what the post said:

AlfredPollo – 05/05/2016 19:56 BST
    I used to be a gold executive club with BA and decided to stop flying with them, to be honest it gave me pleasure to see not even 1 tier point in the bar showing how many tier points I need to retain my status.

After many times BA has let me down and really ruined a trip the last straw was a racist remark I heard the crew use.

I live in TLV, Israel and used to fly to LHR and onward with BA. As the years went by I noticed that the crew became more and more impatient to the people on this route, it didn’t matter if I flew economy or club most of the time they were really rude and unprofessional.

One flight I went to the back galley and heard the phrase “another Jew zoo” used to describe the flight.

Taking away my booked exit seat, shouting at me after doing nothing wrong, being rude when giving me service even in club – these were bad enough but that racist remark? I’ll take my business elsewhere.

I didn’t take this up with the executive club because in Israel they care but the head office in London doesn’t, they’ll “throw” some miles at me and say sorry but do nothing, just like all the previous times we had problems.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I see AlfredPollo has removed his post and flown away!

MrMichael
    Participant

Thanks for all the fish!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Our posts crossed Simon, but thanks for putting back the original post so it now makes sense to everyone.

I think it is very hard for any forum to control this type of behaviour, though I also subscribe to the English Forum in Switzerland, and they have a policy of having to reply 10 times before you can create your own threads.

The only problem on the BT forum is those who have a genuine need for some information, which we are always willing to give, and may be a first time, and perhaps even a one time, poster, would be precluded from doing this which i think would be shame.

Fortunately I can only think of a few instances where this has happened this year (admittedly there may be a few more as I don’t always see all the threads) so while it’s a nuisance it’s not yet a real problem.

AlfredPollo
    Participant

For you it might be just a spin/trolling or whatever but for me it was emotional to even share it.

When I first heard it I was shocked and it took me two months to even raise the issue.

Challenged? no one can challenge it and I can’t prove it. I have nothing to profit from it, nothing to gain from hurting BA only sharing a personal story.

I didn’t walk with a voice recorder on the plane and I’m sure they’ll deny it, I must be naive but I see no gain from my post.

I removed it because I came to the conclusion that this forum seems not to care when it comes to racial terms like mentioned. I bet if it was aimed to each one of you you would feel and act differently.

And it’s Alfred Pollo (Apollo).

Admins are free to remove this thread, wrong crowd.

SimonS1
    Participant

The nature of public forums like this is that not everyone agrees on everything all of the time. However if everyone who used this forum deleted their posts when challenged then it would be fairly empty.

I don’t condone any racist language, however I’m not sure what you expected to gain. And if it was aimed at me I would challenge the situation vigorously and straight away, not leave it 2 months and air my grievances in an internet chat room.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls