Frequent traveller: Fit to drop

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

Anonymous
    Blocked

In which our correspondent almost gets caught with his shorts down while pounding the city streets…

I’ve always tried to stay fit when travelling, and since most of the hotels I stay at have gyms smaller than the bathroom on an aircraft, I tend to go for a run. A combination of boredom, too much food and jet lag often has me waking early, and early is the time to go running in a city. I have shared the morning air with milkmen, dog walkers, street sweepers and street sleepers, and at times, I have experienced the joy of having the new day to myself before the world awakens, with endless possibilities opening up around every corner. But as you’d expect, it’s not all been Golden Gate Bridge at sunrise or Santa Monica at sunset. In fact, sometimes it’s been Chariots of Fire crossed with Forrest Gump.

Cards on the table – I’m not a great runner. Five to ten kilometres at a slow pace is the aim, and I have little equipment beyond an iPod and some faded cotton T-shirts. If I ran more regularly, I’d buy the right kit, but I’d only forget to pack it anyway.

The marvellous convenience of modern travel means you can leave one climate behind and land in another in a matter of hours, but it also means you are never quite sure what the weather is going to throw at you – so when travelling light, inclement weather can present challenges.

Arriving one February evening in New York, I didn’t notice the chill in the air. The next morning, waking to a clear sky and the first glimmers of a sunrise, I slipped into a pair of shorts, a T-shirt and a waterproof running top and headed for the hotel door. What a shock. Back home in Blighty it had been fresh, but here it was freezing, brutally so.

The old adage is to dress for the second mile of the run, so I pressed on, reasoning that I would warm up. I just got colder. Five blocks on, and with Central Park still a few minutes further north, I was freezing. Not metaphorically, but literally – blood thickening, flesh turning purple, and lungs unable to process air so cold and dry it stuck in your throat. My ears and nose were numb and my knee joints had stopped working, forcing me to run stiff-legged with my face frozen into a plastic surgery-like rictus grin. Thank goodness it was Manhattan – I fitted right in.

It took half an hour in the shower to warm up from that one, gradually increasing the temperature to avoid chilblains. Still, if the purpose of running is what my doctor euphemistically refers to as “weight management”, it had done its job – at least until my hunger kicked in and I treated myself to steak and chips for lunch.

In Sydney a year or so later, the problem was inappropriate rather than insufficient clothes. I’d woken at four in the morning with extreme jet lag and figured I may as well run it off, but I’d packed in a daze – no socks, and no shorts. Well, I could do without socks, I thought, and I had a pair of normal shorts. I could run in those. Big mistake. The loose fit I preferred when lounging around worked less well when running around; my sockless feet rubbed, particularly once I’d warmed up; and it was very warm, even at five in the morning. And because it was going to be a short run, I hadn’t bothered to grab a map, or work out where I was going. I kept the harbour to one side, and turned around after 15 minutes or so, taking what I thought was a short cut as my feet were beginning to hurt. Second big mistake.

An hour later, exhausted, I half-jogged, half-shuffled through the less than salubrious Kings Cross area. No socks, sweat-stained T-shirt, one hand holding up my shorts, and wondering why no one would meet my eye so I could ask them the way back to the harbour. I can tell you that no one, not even bouncers on the door of strip clubs and clip joints, want anything to do with someone on the point of collapse. Even the police started their car and drove away, not wanting time-consuming paperwork to mar the end of their night shift.

At my every approach, people would beat a retreat. It was like a parody of sprint training at the end of a long run, a game of tag gone wrong. Even the hookers in their heels were quicker than I was in those trainers. When I finally found my way back to the hotel, the receptionist alternated between professional concern and personal disgust, with the latter claiming victory.

I fell into the lift as the first businessmen were coming down for breakfast, and once in my room pressed the “Do not disturb” button and collapsed into bed. I’d allowed myself a day in Sydney to acclimatise before my appointments started, and it was the last trouble I had with jet lag that trip, sleeping for 20 hours and waking only to empty the minibar of chocolate and soft drinks. So much for the weight management.

Airpocket
    Participant

Personally, I find a good, medium-length swim (about 25-30mins. A long swim being 35-60 minutes) does the trick after a long flight.
    It’s easier on the joints, gives you the same endorphin rush, and you don’t get lost in an unfamiliar city. What’s more, you can hang around the foyer without repelling guests and staff alike with your sweat and odour.
    Best of all, if any air crew are staying at your hotel, you get to impress the perma-tanned Trolly Dollies, lounging poolisde with their vapid glossy mags, with your strokes (no pun intended).
    The only thing is, so few four star hotels,especially in Europe, have a decent-sized lap pool. It isn’t so much of a problem in SE Asia, though.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The thought of AirPocket’s punless pervy “strokes” has put me off my afternoon Stem Ginger biscuit.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

VK,

I have no idea why you and Airpocket are continually at each others throats and frankly I don’t much care but are the continual barbs like your last posting absolutely necessary.

I am grateful for your postings that contain useful and interesting information and would have very much welcomed your thoughts on the ‘BA charging for seat selection thread’ but for some reason you remain silent on that important topic but find time to have a go at Airpocket again here.

Do you have an opinion on the seat selection issue as I, like many other contributors (fans of yours or not) would like to know what it is and if you do not have an opinion why not?

excessbaggage
    Participant

I have to agree with Frequenttraveller09 on this. Recently there has been far too much in the way of personal attacks on this forum, which is a shame because in among it all there are some very helpful, insightful postings. Let’s get back to business travel related forums please.

On that note, i try to walk everywhere whenever possible in cities that i visit, and i find that helps in the fitness stakes. It’s not always possible – Dubai being a prime example, but most European cities are well set up for walking around, and it’s a far better way to get to know a city than getting the underground or a taxi.

Jumpseats
    Participant

i think it’s fair to say that VK has nothing to add when it comes to BA’s recent policy vis a vis paying for seat selection. he’s far too busy commenting on the inane (suspension of helicopter services etc.,) that has no relevance to the majority of travellers.or,maybe, he just knows he’s going to take a beating if he rises up in defence of BA and has decided not to bother.cowardly or what!
    Anyway, us “trolley dollies” don’t just “lounge” by the pool.we quite like to spend our meagre BA salaries and allowances on shopping and cheap alcohol overseas :o)

fitbusinesstrip
    Participant

As someone who works in the health and fitness industry and travels extensively, running as a form of exercise is quite possibly the worst choice after a long flight or hours sat in endless meetings.

Yes, it can exhilarate and make you feel better (the ‘runners high’), but after sitting for prolonged periods, your hips tighten up, and running will only exacerbate the situation.

Long term, without sufficient stretching, this can lead to low back pain.

Anyway, not to rain on your parade as a runner, I would recommend looking to mix some shorter distance running with bodyweight exercises in your hotel room.

Running is not the best exercise option if you are looking to burn calories and keep those business travel excesses at bay.

Exercise with resistance, that keeps your heart rate elevated, is proven to be far more efficient and effective. It is also very quick to do!

You would be far better doing a circuit of the following:

10 push ups, or as many repetitions as you can do in 30 seconds. Then rest for 30 seconds

10 Squats, or as many repetitions as you can do in 30 seconds. Then rest for 30 seconds

10 Lunges each leg, or as many repetitions as you can do in 30 seconds. Then rest for 30 seconds.

A Front Plank Hold for 30 seconds.

Repeating this circuit 2-3 times will work your whole body very simply, but quickly, without the need to brave the elements or be seen outdoors in your exercise kit!

Google any of these exercises and you will find full instructions. Enjoy!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls