Frankfurt – the most confusing airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• RoyJones
    Participant

Okay I normally try to avoid Frankfurt but yesterday I didn’t. Despite normal German efficiency I give it 1/10 for signage. Getting to gates is well marked, the exits are not and are confusing. After passport control there is a customs barrier, but that is before you get to the baggage claim. And that is a hike. Only advantage was it took me 35 minutes to get to baggage claim only to see that bags were expected in another 15 minutes. Then there is the railway station, sorry two stations, one for local trains and another well separated one for Inter City.
    Transfers are another issue.
    Am I the only person confused at Frankfurt Flughafen ?

MartinJ
    Participant

I find that as long as one does not stick to the idea that baggage claim is necessarily before you enter the public areas then FRA is a fairly efficient and straightforward place to arrive with everything signposted, even if it seems counterintuitive. It is my understanding that the anomaly that still exists with certain arrival gates of baggage collection requiring a short transit through a public area is the process of being removed.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I agree it’s confusing but having been through so many times (even though it’s my least preferred airport, LH is my preferred airline) I’ve learnt by looking at the app and terminal maps of several shortcuts which makes transiting and exiting so much easier.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Avoiding FRA like the plague! And I really can’t, I plan extra time.

What I hate the most there is to arrive at the end of the very long terminal, to have to walk down to the hub where security and immigration are, and then walking back to the same place, at a different level though!

The other really annoying thing is that smell of sausages in all lounges (excepted first). Awful!

2 users thanked author for this post.

FDOS Redux
    Participant

I was thinking about this thread last week, when using AMS, an airport I have travelled through an awful lot.

But I haven’t been there for a few years and had to use signage to orient myself, a couple of times.

It’s funny how knowledge decays – use it or lose it, as they say.

I might have to transit via FRA next month and am sure it will be exactly the same experience for me – in fact, I’ve asked for a flight via the easier to use MUC, even though it means a 0200 departure, rather than 0400!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller UK September 2022 edition
Business Traveller UK September 2022 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls