Forum v comments

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

MrMichael
    Participant

When I make a contribution to the forum it is published/displayed instantly. However if I make a comment under the latest news articles it is checked and edited first. I have no problem with that, but perhaps someone from BT could tell me why that is. Surely if I am to be trusted to make my thoughts known on the forum, I should be trusted to do the same in the comments section of the news articles.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello,
    It’s a historical quirk leftover from various levels of security that we’ve had to gradually impose as a result of increased levels of spam.
    When the new site comes it will be consistent across both.
    We trust you. It’s the spam robots that we are trying to frustrate.
    Tom Otley

MrMichael
    Participant

Thanks Tom.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“when the new site comes” – please do tell us more…..

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

And Tom, when you mention the spambots, are those the invitations to dodgy passports, driving licences or the Rugby World Cup ad which completely takes over my browser, literally drowning out anything else that i might care to be listening to at the same time.

I recognise the need for advertising revenue, am massively looking forward to the forthcoming RWC but this ad is totally overwhelming… Can it be toned down a little please?

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Anthony Dunn
    Plus 1.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Just add Ad-Block to your browser, it solves all the problems.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The new website will be this year, I hope. From your point of view I hope it will be a refreshed experience, work better on mobile devices and have an enhanced form of forum software.

The invitations for dodgy passports are a real pain – we think it’s actually humans rather than robots posting them, so it’s difficult to do anything about other than restrict new users to one post in the first 24 hours, which stops them flooding the forum, and then manually deleting and blocking their accounts.

As for the ad, I’m sorry you didn’t like it, but there’s an office of journalists here who need paying. Most forum users are not subscribers, and so access all the news, many of the features and the forum for free. In the absence of a Just Giving page, ads in all their formats are how we pay the bills.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Well, I am at least a paid subscriber… Otherwise, I fully understand the economics of the issue.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

AD. +1

Though I didn’t see any ads for the RWC. Shame as I want some tickets. Makes we wonder though if the ads are targeted since I’m in South Africa and I guess you’re all in the UK?

MrMichael
    Participant

I confess to being a cheapskate and not being a subscriber. I do buy the magazine regularly at Smiths at T5, when I can find it, often tucked up behind CondeNaste and Knitting Today.

I hope my contributions sometimes add some value to the debate.

I find BT forum and articles excellent, and am happy that I do make some contribution financially albeit not as much as others. I have clicked on many an advert on this site, but to be honest, the vast majority of times accidently on my iPad. I hope BT are being paid per click, because if so and with my clumsy fingers must be creaming it in.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls