Forthcoming Airbus A321XLR will change the face of long-haul travel

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

This afternoon Airbus provided more details about its new A321XLR (extra long range).

Some of you will already have taken long-range Airbus aircraft when crossing the Atlantic.

From the UK and Ireland both Aer Lingus and Jet Blue deploy long-range A321s on some/all transatantic routes.

Now Airbus has produced an even longer range version.

As you can see from the diagram embedded in the tweet the A321XLR would be capable of flying non-stop from Hamburg to a variety of destinations including Bangalore, Dar-Es-Salaam and Bangalore.

LondonAndy70
    Participant

Bangalore AND Bangalore 🙂

If there was a choice I think I’d prefer a widebody aircraft for long haul. Whilst I flew the A318 with British Airways on the LCY-JFK route, that had the advantages of clearing immigration in Shannon. Without that I’d probably go for a widebody. I can see how it would help with more obscure point-to-point routes where there may not be the demand for an A350 (for example) but otherwise……?

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

If I was thinking of starting a new UK based, long haul airline (yup, looking at you Global), I would base it out of Manchester and use the A321LR & XLR to fly to both mainstream and slightly more random destinations.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Manchester for a start up airline?? The worst UK airport!

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

@ViajeroUK – Yeah, it’s a poor airport but that doesn’t stop people flying out of it. Anyway, the point was more about where the A321XLR will come into its own, rather than a critique of different airports.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Uncledude
    Participant

Its time there was a Government Investigation about the appalling Security Chaos at Manchester Airport which I am advised has the Highest Ratio of Double checked Carry on Bags in The UK and I am told is only Second to Tel Aviv. At Manchester your Secondary checked Carry on Bags are moved around on Tea Trolleys and there is also a Higher than Average “Missed Boarding” Percentage.

TominScotland
    Participant

And now back to topic……(not Manchester Airport!!)

3 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

This aircraft will be a very useful tool for LCC and some smaller mid-haul airlines perhaps

Will it change the face of long haul travel in my view it will not – being possibly more like a slight softening at the edges of the established order of large roomy wide bodied aircraft for long haul.

1 user thanked author for this post.

RoyJones
    Participant

About the worst thing that could happen is a number of airlines switching to the A321XLR [from a widebody] out of Heathrow. In my view Heathrow landing fees should be like the UK tax, one fee for European flights, a slightly higher fee for “up to, say 2,500 miles” and the highest fee for all others (with the same for an A321XLR or an A380).

Rferguson2
    Participant

This aircraft will be a revolution for smaller, more isolated cities (think ADL-SIN) and will do similar to what the 787 did for small but not so small cities (LHR-BNA).

It is such a flexible aircraft as well which will improve utilisation. For example the aircraft would not only be perfect for a route like Adelaide to Singapore, but once arriving back from Singapore could then be deployed Adelaide to Melbourne or Sydney.

Passenger comfort of course has to be taken into account and naturally most airlines will make sure that maximum space is given over to seats versus galleys and lavatories.

I recently flew Philippine Airlines from Manila – Brisbane (A321LR) then Sydney – Manila (A330). Both are fitted with full flat beds but the personal space available on the A321 was very noticeable compared to the A330. The footwell was JUST a little larger than my hand.

3 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I agree with Rf2 re the aircraft – perfect for smaller cities given range of more than 4.500 nm.

My wife is from the Philippines and we travel on PAL from time to time over the past 15 years. The hard product is fine but both the food and service are very patchy (poor) with more bad than good. Ok for short haul though.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The possibilities will vary depending on the area.

At time of writing Jet Blue is making a success of the transatlantic with its Airbus narrow bodies.

Icelandair has defected to Airbus because the A321XLR will enable it to serve N American destinations which it cannot serve with existing Boeing aircraft.

As you will see from another thread Norse Atlantic is finding the transatlantic a tough market.

Norse is cutting schedules on a number of routes.

One could say its 787s are too large for winter season demand.

BPP
    Participant

Some years ago, Qatar operated something similar LHR-DOH and return – all ‘J’. They called it ‘Business One’ with I seem to remember just 48 seats in a 2-2 layout. I flew this on a couple of occasions – quite nice (cosey!) if a litle slow and noisey compared with the 330 or 777 at the time. The second trip just 3 of us on board with 6 crew! I was told that the return leg was indeed full.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls