Forth Bridge

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

WillieWelsh
    Participant

In case anyone is traveling this way please be aware of the closure of the Forth Bridge:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35001277

Living in North Queensferry suddenly has a whole raft of new challenges!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Latest news is that the damage is worse than was thought.

Now appears likely that the Forth Road Bridge will remain closed until the New Year.

This will have a major impact on commuters, businesses and the many thousands of passengers travelling to and from the airport.

More news to follow.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Wasn’t there once a ferry? Perhaps they’ll bring it back!

WillieWelsh
    Participant

LP, there was indeed once a ferry – the place I live in North Queensferry is on the north side of the Firth of Forth, it is opposite South Queensferry on the other side. The clue is in the name!

The ferry hasn’t run AFAIK since the bridge opened though which was in 1964. I can just remember the ferry. There is now no suitable landing even for a simple ro-ro on either side so the works on the bridge will be quicker than even thinking about the ferry being reintroduced. Equally the traffic volumes coming through our small village is something that just could not happen – have a look at us on street view and you’ll see the impossibility!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

WW, I don’t know why I knew there was a ferry though I had a girlfriend who lived just outside Newcastle but that was in 1977 or so.

Looking at Google Earth I see what you mean about the traffic and there’s no sight anymore of where the ferry used to be, but there is a second bridge which seems to be the rail line. I’m guessing that is still running ok?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

LP – There’s a second Forth Road Bridge which is named Queensferry Crossing. It will open later next year and is very close to the existing structure.

http://www.forth-bridges.co.uk/queensferry-crossing.html

The famous rail bridge remains in use but the trains will be crowded. I understand Scotrail is diverting rolling stock from other lines so it can attempt to meet demand.

canucklad
    Participant

Loved your last post LP,
    Associating a long gone ferry in Scotland with a long gone girlfriend in England. A Freudian slip perhaps?
    Back to the bridge closure, and I’m going to attempt to attach a bit of silver lining to this .

It gives affected parties an opportunity to engage their brain and potentially come up away with long term solutions to reduce car usage.
    Since enduring 11-13 mile queues and quadrupling your journey every morning can’t be good for the soul.

Options companies should be looking at……
    Hiring mini buses to shuttle employees to and from train stations
    Working from home
    Really promote car sharing and flexibly in working hours
    Video conferencing.

EDI and the public bus companies should cooperate with Scotrail at the Gyle to probably integrate seamless travel to the airport.
    The SPFLshould look at rescheduling matches between the Lothian teams and those north of the Forth till later, although the weather has already managed that for them today. No football for me to go to. : (

This also might finally shut up those politicians and public who thought the 2nd road bridge was a SNP grandiose project. Many local businesses are really going to struggle because of this .

NTarrant
    Participant

It’s a shame that the Stagecoach hovercraft experiment didn’t continue as a permanent feature

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Canucklad good post. I doubt any of these will be implemented though as it would take longer than the bridge will be closed for anything to happen so chaos will reign. Once the new bridge is open the risks of this ever happening again will be so small no one will be interested in alternative.

My normal door to door from home to check in at EDI is 15-20 mins, fortunately I have just one more trip to make this side of Christmas but I think I will have to leave home at 07.00 for a 12.15 departure. I can almost see the airport from home!

TominScotland
    Participant

WillieWelsh, why not drive up to Dundee, catch the 07.00 flybe flight to STN and then return north on the 08.55 Ryanair service to Edinburgh arriving at 10.15. Just 25 minutes for the domestic connection in STN, mind you.

(Apologies, it is a very wet Saturday, after all)

canucklad
    Participant

Morning WW, I’m assuming you’ve discounted the train tram option.
    Inverkeithing to the Gyle and then the tram to the airport.

Out of curiosity I checked traveline Scotland to plan the above, but it’s still showing the 747 bus ,taking only 27 minutes. Which takes me back to my point, surely the one website that should be updated is that one. .

WillieWelsh
    Participant

TominScotland well it was a dreek day so you obviously needed something to do but I’ll stick to the Kincardine option!

I did wonder if it was worth just heading down the M80 from there for GLA except that I’m going to IST and I don’t think it’s served from GLA.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks for the info Alex. It looks really impressive.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls