Fog In Channel, Continent Cut Off

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Delays at LHR have nothing to do with BA – which operates among the most advanced fleet when it comes to ability to land in fog – and everything to do with limited capacity at our main Hub airport, which is at saturation.

A new four runway airport would provide contingency in similar weather events.

Or send people away on an Ekranoplan, which doesn’t need a runway, and would be ideally suited for the Estuary:

http://www.moscowtopnews.com/image/article/8/4/2/842.jpeg

Binman62
    Participant

16 cancellations now at T5

VintageKrug
    Participant

A tiny amount compared to the number of flights per day, n’est ce pas?

Unfortunately, to operate safely the numbers of landings must be reduced, when an airport is at capacity this will have an impact.

I’d hope that many of the cancelled services will be to destination served by BA with some frequency, such that people can get a later flight to their destination.

BigDog.
    Participant

And more misinformation based on hackneyed opinion as opposed to research.

Thames Estuary ‘three times more foggy’ than Heathrow – an opinion from a more informed body – the met office.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19341607

Between January 2007 and December 2011 there were 762 hours of fog in the estuary compared to 247 at Heathrow.

It was a bit rich when VK derrided Bucksnet with…
    VintageKrug – 22/10/2012 20:35 GMT
    You really do undermine your position….., by posting bunkum stats

Suggest VK et al take their own advice and try referencing.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

It really is remarkably straightforward, as explained by the captain of a delayed inbound BA flight back from VIE last December (owing to fog). LHR operates, as we all know, at just below 100% capacity – assuming no issues with visibility. If it is necessary to switch to an instrument landing system, then the horizontal separation between aircraft has to be increased from about 45 seconds to around 75 seconds. This has a direct consequence for runway capacity which means that fog automatically translates to flight cancellations.

Were London’s hub to be a four runway facility (even if it was somewhere in the Thames estuary), the increased capacity would allow flights to operate even with the extended separation requirements imposed by ILS….

The reason why STN may have had fewer or no cancellations is because it operates fewer flights and can manage the increased horizontal separation requirements. Presumably ditto for LGW and LTN.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

The real problem is not in landing (instruments take care of this to a large extent) but in taxiing to the gate. Not much point in being on the runway if you cannot see the stand!!

ImissConcorde
    Participant

The real problem is not in landing (instruments take care of this to a large extent) but in taxiing to the gate. Not much point in being on the runway if you cannot see the stand!!

ImissConcorde
    Participant

VintageKrug
    Participant

..but we now have ground radar, don’t we?

And I’m sure the whole tracking/ground proximity technology will improve in future, if it hasn’t already done so.

Plus, extra space on the ground reduces congestion and increases safety.

Delays due to fog are nothing to do with BA and everything to do with an at-capacity LHR, operating at levels which assure safety.

Binman62
    Participant

The technical issues that many have alluded too are all accurate however whilst most aircraft are equipped to handle fog, many crews, particularly, but exclusively non British crews, are not.

Unless they are trained and hold recency then the technology is useless.

So, airfield operating at capacity plus lack of training, plus poor general operational performance, ATC etc etc and any weather event, from strong winds to snow, heavy rain, fog and even clear blue skies can all provide challenges and lead to delays and cancellations.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Oh the fog the fog, I fear it is following me, now trapped in Newcastle, ok I am not trapped just in limbo.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Oh the fog the fog, I fear it is following me, now trapped in Newcastle, ok I am not trapped just in limbo.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

HongKongLady – I am flying from Newcastle tomorrow – if you’re still there let me know! Weather forecast isn’t great for tomorrow either!

HongKongLady
    Participant

Oh sorry just read the posts properly. Hi Becky. MartynS. I missed you by 24 hours damn I am sure you would have made the time pass most pleasantly.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I do feel very confident flying British Airways when, on more than one occasion, the chips are down weather wise.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls