Flying superstitions

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Off thread reply to MrMichael and Icenspice.

Emporer Rosco was Radio Caroline. I remember it well. And is Radio Luxembourg still going? It used to come on at 7.30 pm (and most definitely not at 1930) and finished I think at 3pm.

Oh and Ice, have ever won the lottery with no. 13?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Back on thread.

I also touch the fuselage but it’s a kind of stroke or pat carried out almost lovingly as I do when Mrs.LP drives off in my car šŸ˜‰

Then I always wear my Breitling Emergency watch which has an emergency locator built in. I feel very unsafe without it and I time the journey from take off roll to landing. If the plane is not airborne within 40 seconds I start to panic and at JNB I’m a positive nervous wreck as it need about 65 seconds to get airborne!

Final quirk, if wearing socks, they must be different colours. Luckily M&S / Woolworths sell them with coloured toe caps so no one notices.

Oh, and I’m happy to sit in Row 13, floor 13, seat 13 whichever, of course all now disguised as Row 14 etc!

MrMichael
    Participant

LP, thanks for putting me right on Emperor Rosco. I find it curious that you and Icenspice like to time things around your flights. Is it a part of superstition, do you keep a record, why do you do it? Not criticising it in any way, just curious.

Charles-P
    Participant

‘LuganoPirate’ I thought I was the only one who feels unsafe without his Bretling Emergency !

I bought mine after receiving a briefing from a former UK Special Forces officer on overseas travel who described it as,
    “bloody well brilliant”

I also ordered it with the ‘co-pilot’ strap for the extra time zone – very useful.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

To answer you MrMichael, the timing had nothing to do with superstition bit is of a more practical nature.

The faster the lift off = usually – a lighter load and therefore less weight to carry in case of engine failure resulting in a more relaxed LP!

Re the flight timing. I usually know the approximate flight time whereas time zones can be confusing. So on a ten hour flight if we’ve done 7 hours I know only 3 more to go.

And then I like to see how quick we’ve done the journey and set a new personal record. For example my fastest flight time FRA – JNB is 9 hours and 38 minutes. Usually is over 10:10 It’s nothing more than that.

Charles-P
    Participant

I remember as a boy when flying between South Africa and UK it was common for the BOAC crew to organise a small pool where passengers could predict the time of landing. I remember our Nanny winning one year and buying a new coat with the money.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Charles. I never knew there was a Co pilot strap. What is it? Did you get it in Switzerland?

My strap just went so the timing is good.

Charles-P
    Participant

LuganoPirate – I ordered mine via the Breitling ‘made to measure’ website with a collection in Dubai at the airport so I avoided EU taxes.

http://www.breitling.com/en/models/professional/emergency/my-breitling-made-to-measure/

I assume the strap can be purchased separately

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Charles. I just looked it up and it can be bought separately. I’m ordering it now so it can be fitted when I get back to Lugano. I’ll get the tax back from them so that will be a saving!

PS. Love the BOAC tombola. I’ll try and organise one on Lufthansa when I go back. May help to pay for the watch strap!!!

Charles-P
    Participant

LuganoPirate – My invoice for consultancy services is in the post šŸ™‚

On a side note I was recently recommended to this restaurant in Lugano, ever tried it ?

http://www.lacucinadialice.ch/

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Charles-P “Ultra Orthodox Jewish passengers all touching a part of the aircraft”, which part of the aircraft do the Ultra Orthodox touch?

@LP – take off roll will be longer at higher altitude airports…

canucklad
    Participant

No wonder so many flights are delayed, everyone stopping to clap a piece of metal : )

Anyway, Iā€™m not sure if I do anything superstitious when I fly, Iā€™m more in the ā€œdonā€™t tempt fateā€ campā€¦.

Iā€™ll never remove my shoes until the cabin crew have been pinged after take- off.

I once didnā€™t re-assure a lady on a BA flight into LGW, when we had problems with our flaps. I was going to tell her that all was OK, because the crew werenā€™t (although stressed) preparing us for an emergency landing. I stopped myself, when I realised I was tempting ā€œfateā€ if I did re-assure her !!

Oddly, when I take my turn in goals at my five-asideā€™s Iā€™ll tap the posts if theyā€™ve been rattled by the oppositionā€¦as a thank you gesture!!

Charles-P
    Participant

Martyn
    It was in most cases a hand placed firmly on the fuselage and a quiet prayer. Never seen it before but the (presumably Jewish) stewardess said it was common with deeply religious passengers.

icenspice
    Participant

Hello MrM and LP

The Radio Luxembourg building is still standing. I live within walking distance but have no idea what it is used for these days.

Mr Michael I keep a log of all my flights but only note the exact duration on longhaul.

LP I quite often win shrapnel with #13 but never use the same numbers.

MrM I imagine you are flying home in BA CW. I have only flown in that cabin once and that was on a training flight to Stockholm. To be brief, excellent although you may find your seat quite narrow. I get the impression you are quite chunky (in a nice way) LOL

Go for the back row.

PS how is your liquorice supply?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Charles, I’ll happily pay your bill by way of a lunch or dinner at a nice Grotto (just voted no. 2 in Ticino on TripAdvisor) a short drive from Lugano šŸ˜‰

Mrs. LP knows the restaurant and it is currently the in trendy place to go to but very expensive for what it is.

You’ll eat far better at the following.
    Arte pay off Hotel Villa Castagnola
    Gallo d’Oro in Davesco (10 mins from Lugano)

Hope it helps.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls