FLYbe…another website catch

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Another airline site with catches is Brussels Airlines.

Although they don’t charge for seat selection (cos it isn’t possible on the cheaper fares) or the first piece of baggage, they have an annoying habit of not showing fuel surcharges or taxes until you have selected your flights (which is, I understand, against EU good practice guidelines). The result is that a £50.00 cheapo roundtrip can hit £200.00.

Regards, Simon

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Simon I thought the rule (or maybe just guidance which is different) is that the taxes etc have to be shown on the same page as the fare, not the next one when you select. So although a bit crafty because the taxes only show once you actually select a flight, Flybe & Ryanair do comply.

I don’t understand how the taxes, fees and charges, which I understood to be unrelated to the airline, vary between carriers on the same route, even the same terminal at LGW for example where Flybe is approx £25 but easyJet £10 or less.

stevemac
    Participant

I use Flybe once a month to visit my son in Glasgow from Southampton and have done for 4 years now. A while ago I managed to get a Rewards for all flight every couple of months (I use the Flybe credit card which helps) and a typical ticket cost just under £100. Now however Rewards for all flights are just not available even when looking months ahead and a typical ticket is now £160+. I have now started flying BA from T5 which takes about an hour longer each way but is generally half the price. I like Flybe and Southampton Airport but there is nothing Low Cost about them and the problems mentioned above make them look as dodgy as Ryanair.

NTarrant
    Participant

Stevemac – it sounds like you should trade in your Rewards 4 all credit card for a BA Amex and join the BA Executive Club

stevemac
    Participant

Thanks NTarrant, I am already in the exec club but the Amex may be the way to go.

GerardGill
    Participant

I have tried to book flybe flights using my rewards4all, but despite having 76 points it quotes the full fare up to the point where I have to give my full credit card details, accept their terms and conditions and click on make the booking. Nowhere is there any mention of the discount I should receive for my points. They never answer the phone (0871 5226 177) because the reply is always”all our agents are busy”. I’m concerned that if I click on make the booking I will be charged the full amount. Has anyone else any experience of this?

VintageKrug
    Participant

I don’t often have to use flymaybe, but did just book a flight, avoiding both the insurance and the seat charge as recommended in this thread.

You can also avoid the checked bag fee as well if you are travelling light (10kg cabin allowance should do it for me!).

But I did get stung for another £18 “transaction” fee, which popped up right at the very last page of booking, and is seemingly unavoidable, as I don’t possess a Visa Electron. Visa Electron sounds like the sort of bank card Vicky Pollard might possess.

Oh and that was on top of a “£2 credit card fee”.

PaulJennings
    Participant

It’s slightly off topic but … I was at a function yesterday with speakers from noth Flybe and Blue Islands. Nothing like a bit of friendly competition, and this was nothing like it.

Flybe spoke and gave a brief advert on how great they were and how they were buying lots of new planes and basically taking over the world.

Blue Islands spoke next with a trailer that went something along the lines of ‘We are Blue Islands. Why should you fly with us. Well, first of all we believe in honest pricing. On our website, the price you see is the price you pay’.

Miaow.

CharlieBrown
    Participant

Blue Islands are a good airline. The customer service is excellent although their small planes aren’t for the faint hearted! I would pick them over flymaybe every time. I also like their lounges (not that they’ll win an interior design award anytime soon). A cup of tea or coffee, a soft drink, biscuits, magazines & newspapers. Basic but good. Furthermore Blue Islands don’t charge for flight changes and they’re very flexible when it comes to overweight luggage. Highly recommend this airline.

http://www.blueislands.com/

NTarrant
    Participant

I’ll second that Thomas.

Matinée-Allstars
    Participant

Dear VintageKrug

It is worthwhile keeping a Visa Electron card for this, Easyjet and other airline sites. The easiest I have found is Halifax Easycash. I don’t actually keep much money on the account but when I do want to use it, I transfer it from my normal current account to the Visa Electron related account… its normally there instantly these days… so you can book the flight without the charge with a couple of minute’s work

Yes, as you say it isn’t a great card… but its an easy way to avoid rip-off airline card fees

Hope that helps !!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls