Flights booked with Iberia Express ineligible for Exec Club TPs & Avios

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Globe_trotter
    Participant

I am currently BA Executive Club Bronze, based in Madrid and flew MAD/LPA return in July in Business with an I fare on Iberia Express. Having been surprised to see the flights appear on my statement as “ineligible” for Tier Points & Avios, I submitted a request for reconsideration and received a reply which stated:

“As part of IAG, our deepening relationships within the group allow us to offer enhanced frequent flyer benefits and a more joined up service as we progressively harmonise our systems.

I appreciate that Iberia Express is part of IAG, but as our agreement with Iberia Express only includes flights sold with a BA or IB prefix, I’m sorry to say I am unable to credit your account.”

This is a relatively recent change since flights to MAN in February 2023 booked directly with Iberia Express were allocated TPs and Avios and it would have been helpful to have been informed of the change in advance. In my experience, Iberia Express flights booked through the BA and IB websites tend to be slightly more expensive than when booked direct.

2 users thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Sorry to hear about your experience Globe_trotter, but its helpful information for me to know. I am BA Gold card for now but planning to take a 1 year sabbatical in the Canary Islands from May 2024. I doubt I would retain gold status the year after, but would at least want to maximise my chances and maximise avios.

JAXBA
    Participant

There’s some discussion about this on Flyertalk at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2093315-iberia-express-flight-tiers-points.html

I’d go back to BA and point out that I2 is an IB oneworld affiliate per https://www.oneworld.com/members/iberia and I2 should count as IB.

If they still reject, perhaps credit to IB instead if you have an existing account?

1 user thanked author for this post.

ESKY777
    Participant

Iberia Express, as with the case with Aer Lingus, Level and Vueling, while owned by IAG, is not a oneworld member, and will not award tier point/Avios/miles to any other oneworld frequent flyer program. However, as per BAEC T&Cs, tickets purchased for Aer Lingus flights but with a BA prefix flight number and tickets purchased for Iberia Express flights but with a BA or IB prefix flight number will accrue both tier points and Avios. If the ticket you purchased had an Iberia Express flight number prefix and not a BA or IB one, then unfortunately you will not accrue either Avios or tier points.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Without causing too much thread drift, I was recently surprised to find that avios and tier points were not awarded on some CX business class fares, where cheaper I class fares did benefit from avios and tier points. All oneworld!

Gold-2K
    Participant

I had the same problem with Cathay P Class fare. Even though it is a more expensive fare than the I class business fare it gets zero tier points and Avios whereas the cheaper i class gets full Avios / TP credit.

I pointed out to exec club that Cathay P class fares attracts rewards with every other OneWorld member FF program but all I got was “it’s not an allowable class with us” …… even though it’s a totally illogical response.

After 3 separate “computer says no” responses I gave up 😬

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Gold-2K – Tim F explained it to me along the lines that the P class fares were relatively new (around covid times) and the likelihood is BAEC and CX have not completed an avios/tier point award agreement.

Globe_trotter
    Participant

Hello ESKY777 – you’re right, IB Express is not a member of oneworld but, from information on the Iberia FF programme (“Iberia Plus”) website, flights booked directly with IB Express are eligible for elite points & Avios. Since I’m also member of Iberia Plus, I’ve followed JAXBA’s suggestion and submitted a claim for the MAD/LPA July flights; I will update this post with the outcome.

Globe_trotter
    Participant

The MAD/LPA/MAD flights booked directly with Iberia Express (i.e. with an “I2” prefix) were rejected by the Iberia Plus FFP – despite an appeal through customer service – with no explanation although the resolution message did say that Avios had been awarded in accordance with the conditions of purchase and there is a pop-up box on the website which states that eligible flights should have an “IB” prefix.

So, the lesson learned is to book Iberia Express flights through the BA or Iberia websites.

Globe_trotter
    Participant

I have recently flown MAD/MAN return in business with Iberia Express having booked the fights directly through their website (before being told by BA Executive Club that such flights are ineligible unless booked via the BA or Iberia websites).

Prior to flying, I linked my Iberia Plus account to the flights and, rather unexpectedly, both Elite Points and Avios have now been credited so perhaps the problem with the MAD/LPA flights referred to in my earlier posts was the fact that I’d previously tried to have them credited to my BAEC account.

anyonebutBAirways
    Participant

I Live in LPA and regularly use the 70 per cent discount for flights from the canaries to Spain Mainland, then book new ticket Madrid – Manchester where I also have a home, and I have always been credited full TP and avois, the IB website even says you earn in I2 ticketed flights. hope this helps

Iberia Express
    Close window
    EARNING ELITE POINTS AND AVIOS

You obtain the following for each flight you book with the Iberia Express (I2) code:

Avios, a currency that you accumulate in your Iberia Plus balance to redeem for flights and other opportunities offered by the Program.

Elite Points, a currency obtained exclusively on flights and serving as a measure for maintenance and/or access to Elite card levels.

Earning Avios on direct flights with Iberia Express (I2) code (purchased on or after (29/11/2022) is related to the following criteria:

Expenses in euros (€). Applicable to net expense (fare and operator charges) excluding taxes and fees.

Card level (Platino, Oro and Plata bonuses).

AVIOS EARNING TABLE FOR FLIGHTS PURCHASED ON OR AFTER 29/11/2022

Check the Avios earning table here for flights purchased until 29/11/2022.

EARNING AVIOS ON IBERIA CODE FLIGHTS

Iberia Plus Card Level Avios/€ expense*
    Iberia Plus Clásica 5 Avios
    Iberia Plus Plata 6 Avios
    Iberia Plus Oro 7 Avios
    Iberia Plus Platino 8 Avios

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls