Flight Tracker

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• conshaldow
    Participant

canucklad – 11/03/2016 10:45 GMT

Looks as though Manchester has already taken a hit with diversions. Just got word that Air NZ flight from LAX-LHR had to land in Manchester, as well as a few BA flights to LHR not being able to depart on time.

PIK may have been an option although knowing PIK and the Scottish government it wouldn’t surprise me if they charged a hefty fee for the pleasure of diverting.

icenspice
    Participant

MrMichael, the last time I was in your part of the world was for the Rugby World Cup Final in November 1991. I think I was more interested in the approaching planes. In fact, I had to ask my dad only recently who was playing that day!

Poshgirl58
    Participant

MsKonstanz – BA208 appears to be heading to LHR now. Another scary part of FR24 is if you zoom in on LHR the aircraft appear to be taxiing into Hounslow! Leatherhead currently has VS24 and BA288 in the hold; looks like VS is about to go round for the third time.

DerekVH
    Participant

It would appear BA208 was advised to expect 90 minutes holding time at LHR due to the fog delays; they did not have sufficient fuel hence the stop in SNN.

pheighdough
    Participant

There are 2 questions in the post.

First is the flight Tracker. This data is sourced from ADS-B receivers and they plot the flights based on the information from the aircraft as an amalgamation of ADS-B Transmitters and Mode-S transponders. (these can be the same). The level of coverage is also based on number of receivers. In densely populated areas, there a plenty of receivers and they provide high granularity of updating, less dense areas, the coverage is poorer. Looking at Flightaware versus Flightradar24, one uses a low update, hence 2 straight lines and the other using highly updated ADS-B data.

Also worth noting that as some aircraft don’t transmit data they are ‘invisible’ to these easily accessible apps, and can be seen clearly on the ATC radars. Which is good news.

The second issue is the fog this morning. There was lots of it, slow to clear and peak delay was 85 minutes. Lots of cancellations and diversions, and stand issues that also affected the capability to cope. Other London Airports, such as London City were effected, but to a lesser extent

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls