Flight options to Mauritius from Amsterdam

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

Scotnel
    Participant

I have a quick decision to make so any help much appreciated please….I have to go to Mauritius for a day from Amsterdam and have two choices, via CDG on Air Mauritius codeshare with Air France, or on Emirates via Dubai. BOth in business class, both around the same price, CDG is a one hour connect then an 11 hour flight, Emirates is 2 flights around 6:30 each with a 2 hour layover. Which would you take ?

Thanks!

thfc1972
    Participant

EMIRATES BETTER CARRIER

VintageKrug
    Participant

What is the price for each? We need specifics in order to make an informed decision….

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve never flown Air Mauritius so can’t comment on them, but I have flown Emirates which is superb, so on that basis only I would fly via Dubai despite the stopover being most probably in the middle of the night.

Scotnel
    Participant

Thanks for responses so far, yes DBX is the middle of the night with a longer layover – but I have never flown Emirates or Air Mauritius so wondering if Emirates is so ooh that the extra hassle is worth it, and as said in the op, price is the same – for info about 4200 for each carrier. Thanks for the responses, I have to decide by midday tomorrow. If it helps I am a long term KLM, BA and Cathay user.

continentalclub
    Participant

Unless you’re a Skywards member chasing points and status, I think I’d be inclined to go with the Air Mauritius codeshare option.

Firstly, a daytime connection in Paris is a little more social than a night time one in Dubai.

Secondly, if you have an issue during a Paris connection, then you potentially have more options for still getting to Mauritius than were the same thing to happen to you in Dubai.

Thirdly, getting the connection over with early in the journey is likely to result in a more relaxed overall trip, without the knowledge that you’re going to be disturbed from your rest or work half way through – even if the MK seat isn’t completely horizontal.

And fourthly, given that you mention that you already fly KLM, then the AF codeshare will earn you Flying Blue credit.

So, overall, and given the perfectly good reputation of Air Mauritius, I think I’d personally give them a go.

If you do, let us know how you get on.

Edited to add: here’s an MK Business Class review that may be of interest:

http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/Air-Mauritius/classes/Business-39/user-reviews#comment_id_5112

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Re-reading your post, I see you are just going for a day. In that case, and as you have flown neither, then I would agree with Continental and also fly Air Mauritius.

I assume its a night flight each way so at least you would get a reasonable night’s sleep.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Air Mauritius sounds like it might be an interesting experience – personally I’d prefer a short hop and a longer flight during which I could get some rest, rather than two medium hops with a middle-of-the-night interruption.

Bucksnet
    Participant

How about BA via Heathrow?

Scotnel
    Participant

Bucks net – the BA Heathrow option was about 25% more expensive, sadly an increasingly regular story with BA.

janrotterdam
    Participant

Done that trip several times….with AF/Air Mauritius…good service, good value for money.
    You just need to check whether Air Mauritius is flying to CDG and not to Orly…you donot want to change between these 2 airports….

sparkyflier
    Participant

Perhaps with the BA option you could try another agent/website etc. You do get price differences…

The BA option allows you a full flat bed seat on the long haul, and a very easy connection a Terminal 5. Probably a better product than AF/.Air Mauritius and an easier connection than CDG or ORL by a mile, although I am sure and have heard that the inflight service on Air Mauritius is always very personable, sincere and efficient.

Even when BA moves the flight to Mauritius from LGW you can still easily get there from AMS.

Look forward to your decision and a trip report!

Scotnel
    Participant

Thanks to everyone for their responses, certainly helped me arrive at a decision which is to go with the Air Mauritius code share via CDG. Continental club – your logic and common sense won the vote for me. I will as you request let you know how it goes, flight is end of April.

Thanks again to everyone – much appreciated.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls