Flight Connections in Orlando

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

AuldReekie39
    Participant

I am flying into MCO (Orlando) from LGW in April. The BA flight arrives at 15:30 and I plan to connect to a Delta domestic flight at 17:00.. Allowing for immigration and customs checks it appears to be possible as Delta are in the same terminal. However, should we avoid checked luggage and only rely on carry-on luggage. We are returning to MCO and few days later for 4 week stay in Orlando.

We would like to take check baggage from London and store it in MCO without leaving the International/Delta terminal.

Has anyone had a similar experience and can provide some advise?

Shanwick1249
    Participant

I hesitate to reply to this because it’s not a direct answer to your question but anyone flying into MCO should be aware of the incredible situation that confronts international arrivals there.

Because MCO is set up to allow arriving and departing passengers to mix, the security operation there will confiscate ANY liquids you have in your hand luggage EVEN if you all you are doing is exiting the terminal. You will not be allowed carry it with you onto the shuttle train because you pass back through the airport terminal. It’s insane.

On arrival at MCO you must move any duty-free etc. into your hold luggage which is sent off on a separate conveyer belt to the baggage hall. Any bags you are carrying yourself are subject to a second security check and your stuff will be confiscated.

In a normal airport the best thing for you to do would be to travel with hand luggage, that way you eliminate one big risk for delays. But if you do this at MCO make sure everything you have with you conforms to US carry-on rules as soon as you get off the BA flight or else you will lose it before you can get to DL check-in.

I can’t advise on luggage storage but my guess is that it will be impossible to store bags anywhere inside the terminal. I assume you are not through-ticketed so you will have to go landside and check in with DL before coming back airside? Landside you have a better chance of finding luggage storage.

Apologies if this is no use.

ConstantFlyer
    Participant

Better still, avoid going to Orlando at all. Some places seem to try their hardest to not show a culture of welcome and I’m afraid USA airports are spectacularly good at it.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@AuldReekie and Shanwick1249,

As someone who used to fly the LGW-MCO route almost religiously every 7 weeks I can confirm what Shanwick1249 has said as that is how it used to be at MCO. That said, MCO has changed this in the last 2 years. Arriving international passengers go through immigration, collect their luggage, go through customs, outside customs if you have checked luggage there are airline desks that will take your luggage for the next flight or as Shanwick1249 indicated you will place your luggage on a belt where your luggage will then be sent to the main arrivals hall where domestic luggage arrives. As for yourself, once free of your luggage you head upstairs to board the shuttle train to the central terminal. You no longer go through security as arriving international travellers are now cordoned off from the security area and can only head to the shuttle and not access any other airside areas in the terminal.

Truth be told MCO was never created with international travellers in mind, and it used to be a complete disaster. This recent fix, while still not perfect, is a marked improvement. I would suggest, however, 90 minute connecting time is very tight for MCO, even if you carry an American Passport, and really far too short for a foreign national. Keep in mind that Virgin has two 747’s arriving within a similar time as the BA 777, and add the Mexicana flight from Mexico City likewise arriving then, and you can already get the picture. Finally, with the US about to apply budget cuts on Border Agencies, the immigration lines will expand even further. I would honestly suggest a better connection time of near 2.5 to 3 hours to be safe.

I still go to Florida every 7 weeks, but as I have moved my mom out of her house and into ours on the coast north of Daytona, we now fly via DFW to JAX which is far easier for us.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

If you tried to issue on 1 ticket it would not allow this. It says you must have 3 and half hours is there minimum connection from BA international to Delta domestic. So I’d definitely take a later flight as 90 minutes is ambitious. If you only had hand luggage you might make it but if you have to woit for baggage plus imigration. Chances will be slim.

Shanwick1249
    Participant

Dutch

I welcome the correction. I am forced to go through MCO roughly once a year for work and I would have sworn that the last time I did so (October 2012) is was still as I described it. However, if I’m wrong about that then then I’m vey happy to be wrong.

AuldReekie39
    Participant

Thank you all for your feed back and advise. Carry-on luggage seem to be the only option.

DutchYankee: I am familiar with MCO but I am puzzled that I cannot access any other air-side areas in the International/Delta terminal – T4. I assumed that you could simply go up the escalator after clearing immigration and customs to the departures level and turn sharp right and join the departing passengers arriving from the Main Terminal by the shuttle. Is this blocked off? If so it would mean going to the main terminal and going through security. Thus a 90 minute connection even with carry-on luggage would be unrealistic.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@AuldReekie39, exactly my point. For arrivals that are staying in Orlando area, the new system is an improvement, but if you plan to connect it is still a hassle. I am not sure if you can bypass the barriers, and go through security instead if you prove you are connecting, as whenever I have flown in I was staying in Orlando. This link might be helpful as well http://www.orlandoairports.net/arrive/index.htm.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls