First to lose Scotrail franchise

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

• andystock
    Participant

First group is simply got an awful name and brand image since First Capital Connect!!!!

Give me an HST any day over an Voyager or class 170! I was on a cross country HST a few months back, what a nice train to ride. A design classic!

SimonS1
    Participant

Alex – I think that as part of more recent refits the toilets are also being replaced, partly to comply with disability legislation.

andystock
    Participant

Just read the press release, the HSTs are to be refurbished with a buffet car and a full first class service, beats a class 170 any day!

MrMichael
    Participant

SimonS1 said “MrMichael – interesting about National Express. Not sure their chances of winning anything are very high. Probably a waste of money tendering.”

Your probably right Simon, but there lies a danger along the lines of the failed East Coast franchise bidding debacle. If, and I do emphasise the If, National Express were to put in a good tender with good price that ordinarily should win and it is not awarded….more problems. Perhaps best HM did exactly what the public would I think support and tell them not to bother, “you ain’t getting a train set to play with”. Ok, they might challenge that in court, but under the circumstances I think it reasonable, if possibly not legal.

SimonS1
    Participant

Indeed that’s true. Unfortunately the DfT’s credibility isn’t exactly at a peak either after the great West Coast Balls Up so who knows what the outcome would be.

SimonS1
    Participant

@Alex – see attached which details the refurbishment of Porterbrook HSTs (not sure who does the leading for Scotrail).

Note slam doors replaced by power doors and retention toilets fitted. So it would appear to address your concerns. Really only the body is left from the original build.

https://www.porterbrook.co.uk/downloads/brochures/HST%20Brochure.pdf

TominScotland
    Participant

BigDog – FirstGroup does not currently operate East Coast – I think you mean lose out in their bid to run the routes which are currently operated by Directly Operated Railways (DOR), the British tax payer.

If this report is correct, FirstGroup are certainly on a poor run of form, having lost out in their bid to retain Scotrail.

MrMichael
    Participant

A great shame that DOR could not bid, they seem to have done an excellent job, and profitably. I guess the question for the government is can they squeeze more money from a private company, and the answer is likely yes they can.

What I hope will nt happen is that like National Express they bid too much and walk away. I will never trust National Express group again after what I consider the fraudulent way they turned their back on their responsibilitys. I wish good luck to whoever wins, and feel rather sorry for the current management who have done a tremendous job.

canucklad
    Participant

East Coast must be a right pain in the rear for those politicians that have their proverbial feet set in dogmatic cement.
    And I’m in total agreement with you MrMichael . National Express made travelling down the ECML akin to catching the local express from Kinshasa in middle of rush hour, without the warm sense of exotic travel. .

Now, the current management team rescues the movement from embarrassment, service levels improve, promotional fares encourage usage, and its all done making a profit.

Only one thing to do……..Sell the franchise to the French …… imbeciles

AMcWhirter
    Participant

According to todays scotsman.com the French are favourites to take on the East Coaast franchise. The winnetr could be announced this week.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/fury-as-french-firm-set-to-take-over-east-coast-1-3615143

canucklad
    Participant

So Virgin now have a 2 pots to pee in…….so much for competition. Woof woof woof …..is that political dogma I hear.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/101078/virgin-and-stagecoach-awarded-east-coast-franchise

SimonS1
    Participant

Shows that markets can get these things totally wrong I guess.

How Stagecoach/Virgin’s fortunes have changed since the great civil service cock up on the West Cost.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls