First to Dubai

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

Biggless
    Participant

Recently booked First to Dubai for my wife and I using miles (sorry Avios!) and BA companion voucher. A question and an observation – I’m sure one of you will know, how likely are we to experience the new First and the observation; I was surprised that taxes etc.. came to £1016.34 for the 2 tickets. Last time I went First (to San Francisco), taxes were only £730.60. Seems like a big increase for a much shorter flight ! Is this linked to the change from BA miles to Avios system ? However, still good value since the cheapest paid tickets were just over £8,000 !

NTarrant
    Participant

It will depend on what aircraft type is used. The new 777 were order of the day but they aren’t now. I would have though its a good chance.

Taxes have increased and surcharges, nothing to do with Avios

RBrown9
    Participant

I just did a quick check on the Emirates website. On a First class ticket from LHR to DXB they are charging GBP165. I assume that BA are adding on some additional charges (fuel surcharge etc)?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Air Passenger Duty (APD) charges are a significant proportion of the exLHR ticket cost.

APD is charged dependent on destination, so there will be differences between what is charged to the US vs. the UAE.

http://www.abta.com/about/lobbying_and_government_affairs/air_passenger_duty

Biggless
    Participant

Thanks – that is rather annoying that BA are charging so much. Luckily the £7,000 saving over 2 cheapest BA paid tickets in First still allow me to feel OK……

SimonS1
    Participant

Shows what a joke the whole thing is.

A DXB-LHR-DXB first return has £180 of taxes
    A LHR-DXB-LHR first return has £1016 of taxes

Talk about maxing the UK uncompetitive.

FLYINGRISO
    Participant

TRAVELLING Emirates F to Auckland via Dubai and Sydney in March, return via Melbourne early April, some flights on A380, cost £4050 plus taxes of £206.

LeTigre
    Participant

The quoted £1016 taxes is not actually all Government taxes as APD on this route even in premium classes clocks in at £260 rtn.

You can call the rest ‘BA TAXES’.

craigwatson
    Participant

i think people are getting confused here. just a quick check on ba.com shows ba taxes return to dxb are 457 – reverse the trip dxb-lhr-dxb and taxes are more 515. just looked at a first return in sept. and including taxes 3900.

then went to ek.com and they are charging 178 taxes lhr-dxb return for a total of 3500, so just 400 less than ba. if you reverse that and go from dxb-lhr-dxb ek are charging 4800 including taxes to ba’s 4648, so ba are cheaper, even with the taxes.

SimonS1 – you are quoting ek 1 person taxes to ba’s 2 person taxes, and ek just adds there fuel surcharge into the fare.

Bucksnet
    Participant

The bulk of the ‘taxes’ are fuel surcharges. BA do this instead of just having a higher base fare so they can make more money from redemptions.

Saffjoyfox3
    Participant

I’d say you have a very good chance of getting New First on this route – my three most recent trips have had New First either on the 777 or 747.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls