First impressions

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

lloydah
    Participant

When you fly a lot, small things that happen are no big deal, but if they go wrong on first flights the impression you get of that airline is jaded for a long time, if not for ever.
    My younger son used BA on business for the first time last week. He’s young and starting out so it was economy LHR to ASQ (Austin US via Miami) His seat was changed at check in – op reasons he was told – found himself between mother and daughter, one in window one in aisle, neither wanted to change. His video not working for whole flight. Also saw his original seat (aisle) occupied by half of a couple (with working screen). Flight left late, arrived late, weather apparently. Missed his connection at Miami, overnight in Hotel paid for by him as “weather doesn’t attract compensation”, Day late arriving at Austin this time via Charlotte.

Yes, we know things happen that are beyond our control and some things here were no one’s fault in particular but he’s now flying Emirates as he has to get to Japan in October, swearing never to use BA again for the attitude and unhelpfulness he found – first long haul alone and without the support he might have expected, although probably everyone was playing by the book. Just, he found, it appeared no one actually cared.

Would other airlines leave the same impression or dealt with things a bit differently? I rather doubt it but that’s me being jaded after many years of flying. However, I think it shows how one poor trip can colour the future and why airlines can get the reputation they get if they don’t treat everyone as if it were their first flight.
    Apologies for the moan.

Flyboy18
    Participant

Surely if he was one ticket through to Austin, BA would have looked after him no mater why he missed his connection?

rferguson
    Participant

BA will definitely reimburse him for his overnight in MIA due to weather or not.

If his IFE was not working at all on board and the crew were not able to offer him an alternative seat he will definitely be compensated for that also – the crew in fact would have been able to give him some Avios directly on the aircraft.

You are right though IIoydah – compensation or not it doesn’t leave a positive first impression. Please encourage him to claim for his hotel and complain about the lack of IFE though. Not being left out of pocket and a chunk of avios should hopefully soften the blow a little.

**These are my personal opinions only**

FDOS_UK
    Participant

lloydah – 23/09/2015 21:39 BST

I empathise with your son, I also started travelling internationally when I was 21 and it is an often unsympathetic world – airline personnel seem to expect you to know everything and volunteer very little, making life tough – I am sure he will learn quickly, though.

I hope his return journey is better and was intrigued to see his destination was Austin, NV, as I have been to Austin, TX a few times and didn’t realise there was more than one.

Hope all goes well on Emirates, if he’s on the A380 in Y, it’s miles ahead of BA’s product and the seat pitch, IFE, food etc are excellent.

lloydah
    Participant

I would have to agree with both of your comments above – but he was on a single ticket and that’s what he was told – if it’s weather it’s out of their hands. He’s not a member of the Exec Club (yet anyway) and didn’t ask for Avios and wasn’t offered any.

I will pass on the advice to claim for the hotel. It’s a pity you have to fight for these things.

rferguson
    Participant

Ah I was confused what ASQ was also!

IIoydah, yes it’s annoying when you have to make time and energy to complain about these things. Can I make a suggestion? Firstly, i’m guessing your son is of the Twitter generation? Encourage him to make contact with BA via that platform – I know there is a dedicated team IN THE UK that monitor it and address the issues raised on there. Also/alternatively ask him to contact the ‘On Business’ department – 0344-493-0748 to relay details of his first flight with them. I know the small business market is one that BA is wanting to attract and retain so it might be worth a quick call.

I’m not surprised that is what he was told by AA. Despite the ‘seamless’ service between the airlines of the JSA across the atlantic there are still some different mentalities when it comes to dealing with missed connections etc. As a BA customer (who’s delayed flight caused him to miss his connection anyway) AA should have been more proactive in accommodating him as that is in the spirit of the JSA. Regardless, he will be reimbursed.

**These are my personal opinions only**

rferguson
    Participant

Just to add….just tried a quick dummy booking on ba.com for LHR-ASQ and it does not come up as an option. Hopefully it’s just a system thing and not that Austin, Nv is a destination uncovered by the JSA (meaning your son would have had to purchase a separate ticket with AA MIA-ASQ).If this is the case unfortunately he will fall prey to AA’s rules when it comes to policies on accommodation.

Actually lloydah looking at AA.com they do not sell MIA – ASQ or Austin. Nv either. It was definitely Austin Nevada and not Austin Tx he was flying to?

lloydah
    Participant

No, I know. Apologies. I copied the airport code from the World Airport codes site and din’t look any further. It was Austin Texas of course. He was on what he called an elderly 747 to MIA and was originally to make a connection direct to Austin, the delay meant he had to go to Charlotte then on to Austin which presumably took more time too.
    He returned yesterday on AA 777 300 and said the eco recline where the seats go forward a bit but not back much were horrible for your knees.

rferguson
    Participant

Perfect! Suggest to him he get tweeting and claiming! 🙂

canucklad
    Participant

Another aspect of this whole “First Impressions” thing, is that you can’t help but compare like for like……I started flying before I could walk, talk or even realise my teddy bear (leopard) was my best friend ………

My first Impressions /memories of flying were shaped by excitement, exhilaration, wonder and those emotions attached by a young boy starting out on a big adventure…..Big windows, Big noise , Big seats, Big everything……..

Then comes my cognisant first impressions, and here I come to my point.
    And although I’ve said on here many times before, I was spoilt…very spoilt.
    So my first impressions of air travel, years before IFE and Business class and other things that we take for granted now, or ironically if you fly in Y , and are young enough you’ve missed service levels that were so good you don’t appreciate what you’ve missed.

This makes my First Impressions jaded…….but on an airline by airline basis and long haul only ….and neutralising my CP bias…..here’s my first impressions…..and like lloydah’s son, our national carrier comes out worst…

BA Long Haul…..So bad I never flew with them until BD disappeared
    EK were excellent, small touches like CC entertaining children puts a smile on your face
    AF were surprisingly engaging, pity about CDG
    CX…Very Good, didn’t disappoint
    UA ..Poor & not on my choice
    KL…Efficient and quite good – Reliable
    LH….Efficient and well….uber proffesional
    JL…Superb
    QF…Relaxed OZ friendly
    TK….Didn’t live up to the hype but still better than others.
    GA….Bizarrely brilliant even with a defective IFE…probably best CC experience.

And as for AC
    Surprisingly, the enemies service was very good, although later I found that my allocated lass was ….ex CP !!

Not scientific and many more I could have mentioned but I’ve got work to do….. : )

rferguson
    Participant

Interesting Canucklad. I guess expectations always come into play with first impressions too. For example my first impressions with SQ in Business was a disappointment. On the flip side with AA it was great! I guess in the case of SQ because i’d heard so so soooo many amazing things about them I was expecting something flawless and seamless and far superior to other products (which it wasn’t). And with AA I was expecting to be disappointed. In my case sometimes first impressions are just a case of bad luck too. I remember my first long haul flight on QF being absolutely hideous and I avoided them for a long time. However, I rank them at the top of my favourite airlines to fly now. I’m with you on UA though – first impression was rubbish. And it’s kept it’s rubbish crown after the couple subsequent flights i’ve flown with them.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I’ve had three distinct time periods with BA

1978-1990ish (not great, but gradually improving)

1900ish-2001 (becoming a world class player)

2001 onwards (post 9/11 decline and cost cutting)

For those who cannot remember, BA in the middle period would compete with any other airline in the world.

MrMichael
    Participant

FDOS, I would say it was around 1988 that BA started getting good……just before SAS started getting bad.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

MrMichael – 24/09/2015 17:05 BST

You could be right, my memory is a little hazy. SAS were good in the early 80s, I used them a lot – nice short haul business class.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls