First CX J flight in ages – and what a mixed bag

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

• Nicholas Bacon
    Participant

I am flying CX LHR to HND (with short stopover in HK) in a few weeks time on J. I can’t wait. CX always a favourite for me over many years since flights in my childhood in the 1970s. My first CX flight since COVID. It will be interesting to compare with my recent excellent experiences with ANA, EVA and BA J (BA’s new Club Class seats are great) and SQ (disappointing).

alistairNicoll
    Participant

I too have noticed how rare it is these days for cabin crew to address you by name in business class. It is a small thing but these things create an impression.

Anthony
    Participant

Sadly, in-flight service of CX is well below what it had been in the past, though there were surprises once in a while.

aavesh76f
    Participant

Long gone are the days of personal recognition. CX always used to address me by name, but not on this flight, nor were any pax in my earshot. Instead hot towels were handed out with the word “Towel?”, and when the meal service arrived it was handed over with a “Here you go”. All sense of special personal service was utterly gone (the one exception being the lady who came around to take food orders on an iPad). No routine run-through the cabin to see if people needed anything, the toilets weren’t cleaned on any occasion I used them, and it all felt a bit low-rent on the service side.

FRANCESCABARNES
    Participant

As ex Cabin Crew, there is nothing more exasperating than someone who constantly uses their call button, and is too lazy or self important (be it in whatever cabin) to get off their behind and have a little stroll to the Galley.
    No name mentioned as to which post I’m commenting on.

FDOS
    Participant

@FrancescaBarnes

In my experience (and talking about premium cabins) if a passenger has to use a call button for routine requests such as a drink, there is a high probability that the crew are substandard.

5 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

“there is a high probability that the crew are substandard.” or perhaps the airline American.

3 users thanked author for this post.

alistairNicoll
    Participant

In business class with 1-2-1 seating I might agree with you but as already mentioned in business class this should not be necessary if the crew are doing their job but if you have to climb over people to get to the aisle then sorry you are wrong.

Personally I do like the little walk to the galley every now and then (assuming no bar on board) and perhaps a chat with the crew to pass the time away

esselle
    Participant

{content}

There is a difference between wandering up to the galley because you like to, and wandering up to the galley because it’s the only way to get any service.

alistairNicoll
    Participant

True Esselle but as someone who finds it difficult to sleep on plane even with flat bed then I may well be the only passenger in business who is not asleep and I really don’t expect them to be continuously walking up and down the cabin during that part of the flight

stevescoots
    Participant

@FRANCESCABARNES. “avoid moving around the cabin unless necessary” most airlines state now. I agree with FDOS if you are in a premium cabin, paying very high premium prices then seat service is part of that. If crew are visibly busy i will get out of my seat but when the lights are out, everyone is asleep that’s not what customers pay for. especially if they go to the galley and crew are just chatting away

alistairNicoll
    Participant

@stevescoots I Don’t agree if crew are visibly busy chances are there is no one in the galley and quite frankly during lights out on an overnight flight I don’t expect the crew to be continually walking up and down when virtually the whole cabin is asleep. For me I am more than happy to use the call button or walk to the galley. I don’t regard this as any diminishing of the premium service Yes I do appreciate it when I am the only one awake and a crew member approaches asking if I would like a refill or anything but I Don’t expect it.

stevescoots
    Participant

That was my point, maybe i didnt word it right.

1 user thanked author for this post.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

It occurs to me that I didn’t finish off the story with the route back.

We flew Bangkok Airways from HKT to BKK – all fine, typical domestic economy flight.

Then CX BKK to HKG – loved the lounge in BKK as always, flight itself was pretty standard with the regional seats rather than the LH ones we had enjoyed going the other way but were comfortable enough, still a reasonable selection of stuff to watch and the food was good too although rather heavily cheese-based which limited the Memsahib’s options. Staff were very attentive, though, constantly checking the cabin without being too intrusive.

We had a long layover in HKG and went to The Wing J. I won’t say much about it except that it isn’t a patch on The Wing F and the food offerings were decidedly spartan. Then the flight back to LHR – this time, I think the crew were London-based (to judge by the accents!) and very efficient. Still not addressed by name, but again the food was excellent so from my limited experience of those five flights there has been a consistent improvement in catering. Let’s hope that soon enough the service will catch up.

Happy travels, everyone!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls