First Class treated as Second Class!

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

NTarrant
    Participant

I have been using East Midlands Trains between St Pancras and Nottingham for sometime, travelling first class. During the week you get an at seat service with regular tea and coffee supplies and a small bottle of water and a biscuit and/or cake. Nothing special but one feels as though you are getting value for money.

On two Saturdays I have travelled in First and there is no at seat service but you can get free beverages at the buffet on production of your ticket. The first Saturday I asked for a coffee and was presented with a cup of hot water and a sachet of Fairtrade unbranded coffee to add to the water. It was disgusting.

Yesterday I thought I would try the tea, and whilst some fellow passengers had the “Twinings” and “Kenco” they had clearly not shown their tickets. I received a cup of hot water with a Fairtrade unbranded tea bag. It was okay, but this shows that First class passengers are treated as second class, I am glad I didn’t pay the full anytime fare!

NTarrant
    Participant

Most of the people travelling were on advance tickets and indeed my return trip travelling out on Wednesday was £56.00 in First. However, had I paid £195.00, which on a few occasions have had to, I would not have been best pleased to receive the substandard product I received.

It is clear that the inferior product is cheaper, but I am sure that if the advance or weekend supplement ticket price was two or three pounds more then there would be no change to the numbers travelling.

I just think it is a bit tacky and sends mixed messages about First class travel.

NTarrant
    Participant

Buffet on EMT now withdrawn and trolley service in place, two in fact one for Standard and one for First. Still get naff tea and coffee at weekends but at least you get an at seat service

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Nigel,

I went up to Newcastle a few weeks ago with CrossCountry First Class. Out on a Sat and back on a Sun. Over £200 return. I got nothing but a cup of coffee and a bickie. When I pointed out that catering seemed a bit slim (unlike me, alas), I was told that this was the standard First service at the weekend.

Pity they don’t just the fares accordingly.

I also remember when on Midland Mainline you got free tea and coffee at your seat in Standard. I’m told that one of the first things Stagecoach did when they took over the franchise was to abolish this. Typical of that Company, I guess. Midland Mainline is now East Midlands Trains, I take it?

Regards,
    Simon

NTarrant
    Participant

Hi Simon

Indeed EMT is the old Midland Mainline, with a little bit of the old Central Trains. I too remember when you could get a free tea or coffee at seat in standard, but that didn’t last long and you had to go and get it from the buffett. It was one of the first things to go when Stagecoach took over.

Have not been on a Cross Country, other than a couple of trips between Bourbenouth and Southampton, in First for quite sometime. I don’t know if you still get an sandwich during the week.

My whole point is why should the product be devalued just because it is a weekend.

Regards

Nigel

openfly
    Participant

Hi guys,

It is the same on Virgin Drains at the weekend. Branson charges a normal F fare and then fills the seats around you with lowlife and their noisy music and bad language for a small supplement to their £5 fare.
    You then have to walk through umpteen carriages to get a free coffee and biscuit. Of course you cant leave your bits and bobs at your seat as it is likely to be stolen!

Weekend rail travel is economy only, proper F does not exist.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The lowlife is just awful.

Many of them actually smell, and the constant drone of MP3 players (not even iPods!) and the rustling of the crisps on which they seem to subsist has returned me to air travel for Sunday evening journeys.

NTarrant
    Participant

Indeed VK,

As an example on Sunday whilst travelling to Derby (sadly there are no flights to there!) the guy opposite had a table to himself and had plugged in his IPod to recharge. He disappeared to the toilet when a girl who walked up the carriage unplugged his IPod and plugged her charger in to check a text or whatever. Then took it out and walked off leaving the guys IPod unpugged. The lady opposite and I looked at each other in disbelief!

Still back to civilisation today, with a nice peppered ham salad with noodles and a Lily O’Brien chocolate.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls