First Class Rail Review – Transpennine/Scotrail

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

• CarlaDevis
    Participant

I am so glad by reading this discussion. I got such a useful and informative resource about the Scotrail for which I am looking forward. Thanks for sharing such useful information.

FrequentPR
    Participant

Having been to the UK this year and again sampled CrossCountry, Virgin, Northern Rail and East Coast, I enjoyed all the trips (although Northern Rail’s branch line trains were pretty grotty).

It was terrific to sit in first class and enjoy the free snacks, some of which were very good (bravo, CrossCountry and Virgin) and attentive service (especially on CrossCountry: the gent kept asking me if I’d like more, perhaps because he wasn’t used to foreigners patronising his train).

I know that as always local residents may have a different view, but the UK rail system is fairly good by world standards, although Asia is the standout. The UK still has a reasonable network of branch lines on which the trains seem quite well used, which is very encouraging. The main line trains I used were all heavily patronised in second class but some coming back to London in the early evening were not busy in first class, but then by Australian standards, the fares can be very high if you don’t book in advance.

Shearer
    Participant

I have travelled on First Class ScotRail and they are missing a track.
    Usually about 9 seats at the front and back of the train, frequently full with Advance cardholders, and service (Glasgow – Inverness) has been free soft drinks, pastries and snacks.

No luggage space and really nothing to write home about.

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

Since you bring it up NIRscot, I can tell you that I am STILL having correspondence with Scotrail after my ‘simple’ question regarding what catering I should have expected on my above journey. Stock answer after stock answer came through and I didn’t give up. I finally got onea week or two ago that told me that they did check out my journey on the date I travelled and the steward made 3 trips through the train with his trolley. Of course I replied again – there was no steward service on that train! I guarantee it! I didn’t fall asleep or anything, there just wasn’t one. I’m not too fussed, but just horrified at the string of “we are sorry to learn of your disappointment etc.etc.”. I’m doing a First Class return journey this week Aberdeen to Edinburgh and was sure to book East Coast services. I know exactly what I am getting and the prices were cheaper than Scotrail as well. Plus, First Class was £0.50 more expensive than Standard. Why would you travel Standard when that is the difference? This always baffles me – every time I travel by train I get First for a few £ dearer than Standard, or indeed it was once cheaper.

NTarrant
    Participant

Speedbird – You will have a hard job getting anything coherent from Scotrail customer services. I made some comments, not complaints, about the sleeper service, including a comment that in the showers at the Virgin lounge they should have hooks to hang ones clothes.

They responded with a load of rubbish, which I then responded to only to be responded to with more rubbish and the cycle went on again. It was only after I saw their Commercial Manager at an exhibition and he gave me his card and asked I send the email string to him that I eventually got a chherent response and £30.00 vouchers. Not that I wanted the vouchers but very useful!

I have also found EMT good for selling First Class tickets at the same price as Standard

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

I HAVE A CONCLUSION!
    After 8 months of stock reply after stock reply, I have a £10 rail voucher and an answer to my original enquiry as to what I should expect in First Class on Scotrail! No trolley service is guaranteed on any service apparently. That’s all I asked 8 months ago! Not looking for compensation or complaining, just enquiring so I could plan my future journeys and expectations accordingly. Oh boy. Am I glad I bothered? Well I didn’t want to just be brushed off so persisted on finding the answer. This could have been answered with one e-mail. I really can’t believe that there are still companies who work in this manner – times have changed, they need to do much much better. Phew.

canucklad
    Participant

Hey Speedbird_ABZ

glad you’ve found your Holy grail ,so to speak : )

You should name and shame, “FIRST Scotrail”

I don’t even bother complaining now, their organization has no pride and their management is basically non existent!

NTarrant
    Participant

Well done Speedbird for your persistence

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Typical of so many organisations today I’m afraid. All petrified they’ll be used for compensation.

Not sure I’d have had the fortitude to carry on so long but well done to you Speedbird.

Benjamin123
    Participant

Having travelled Inverness – Aberdeen – Edinburgh – Aberdeen – Inverness on both ScotRail and East Coast trains. My advice is you are better waiting hours for an East Coast train to come along than take ScotRail.
    The difference between the two train companies is shocking….
    With Scotrail the only difference between first class and standard class is, first class has a bit of cloth on the headrest. In the ScotRail carriage, there was so little difference there wasn’t even a divide between first class and standard. The first class seats had one power socket to share between for 4 seats. What happens when more than one person wants to use their laptop? Even then the power socket at my table did not even work! ScotRail first class had no wifi. For the first one hour, I saw no conductor so someone else could buy a standard ticket and still sit in the same seat as what I’ve paid extra for (edit= In fact between some stops they could have got away with not buying any ticket at all) and no trolly service for the entire journey.

Basically I received absolute nothing for paying extra. I was made to feel like an idiot for sitting there.

Some Scotrail trains only have 18 first class seats. 9 at ether end. I hope they don’t sell as many first class tickets as they can, doubling booking, knowing that only 18 of these customers will get what they paid for.

While East Cost had 2 whole carriages dedicated to first class, big comfy reclining seats at tables, more power sockets, free wifi (was intermittent) and constant coffee, orange juice and snacks.

I appreciate the two companies operate different rolling stock. But to conclude, first class in ScotRail is a rip off. If you want the perks of first class, for example needing to use your laptop at a table, don’t use ScotRail and wait for an East Coast train to come along. According to an article in the Scotsman newspaper, even ScotRail drivers shun their own trains and chose to travel by East Coast when attending a conference

Shearer
    Participant

Sound advice about East Coast if only for the fact that they only operate one service a day between Inverness and Edinburgh.

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

Well said Benjamin123.
    We have 3 East Coast services per day to and from Aberdeen to London – I think there may also be one to Leeds, well there used to be when daughter commuted to and from college.
    EVERY East Coast service I have travelled on has been great, each and every staff member were the friendliest most efficient people I have ever encountered on any rail company – head and shoulders above Virgin as well. Keep it up East Coast – well as long as you are allowed to anyway. My kind of company, I am a stickler for service and they hit the spot every time.
    Sounds like I am an employee – I’m not, for the record!

Benjamin123
    Participant

NIRscot,
    ScotRail ripped me off so much, I’d rather wait in Edinburgh for that one East Coast service.
    You know ScotRail have a problem when people are saying this. I take it ScotRail take no pride in their customer service.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls