Final Call To Use FF Miles?

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

AussieM
    Participant

The last few weeks have seen rapid changes on the Airline World stage.
    Redundancies & planes to be withdrawn in the US, Asian Carriers/TG downgrading flight services/classes & aircraft (removing 1st Class to Australasia), Alliances being questioned…Fuel is affecting all around the globe.

My gut feeling, is that though our FFP accruals through our travel ,are now worth more in equivilant paid revenue tickets,than a year ago,(Some fares LHR- SYD have doubled in C class), its going to be awkward to spend them on redemptions. Not only this, but with cuts a-foot in all aspects of Airlines business, it can only be just ahead that the FF schemes will also be adjusted also?
    Greater restrictions or less flights avaialable, certainly less miles able to be earned, more expensive revenue flights to earn them, & dare i say, as with Thai International, older aircraft, aged cabins being used, & a reduction in service.

Perhaps its time to get out all those FF cards, & use them whilst they are still worth something, & availability can be seen ahead. Careful considerations as to which carrier, if within an alliance need to be made, as Star Alliance fewer 1st Class seats so it will more more difficult to get C class. As the comments on here state clearly, with TG Downgrading flights, FF members will not want to spend with the carrier.

Just as the whole Airline Industry is reviewing its business, we are the subject of its actions in today’s climate. However, we have our hard earned miles up our sleeves…but i fear not for long in their current form. Whilst we have the Memberships, they seem still to be run on yesterdays rules, & the climate changing rapidly. Sooner or later, the calculations will have to change to refelect the current climate.

Gone is the ability to repeat a 1st Class flight, i made on Thai from LHR-Sydney already…Seems like an age /era gone for now…

I think it wise to use these as soon as possible…its time to cash in those flight rewards…???

Henryp1
    Participant

Have just used BA miles to get two 1st class tickets and return to LAX, it was a simple and easy process just paid around £580 in taxes and fuel charges, so happy to go and have a free flight.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

I agree with the sentiment of the FF mile concern. I have been caught out in the past with accrued miles sitting in my accounts, with plans to use them for particular trips in mind. Then prior to booking, the rules changed in some way which efficiently devalued the miles. So spending soon, instead of later could well be a wise move. Especially with miles accrued with US based airlines, or any airline without a healthy balance sheet, as it is looking uncertain as to who will survive the current economic climate. FF miles in US based carriers could be devalued to zero.

However, it might not be all bad news. The benefit could swing the other way too. For airlines still flying with spare capacity, promotional offers to redeem miles at reduced rates might become more readily available. While you are getting the seat for “free” the airline will still be taking money for fuel and other so called charges. They probably won’t making profit but it will be reducing their losses or help off-set costs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls