Expenses for Cancelled QF Flight Booked Through BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• esselle
    Participant

We were due to fly MEL-SYD last night on QF on a booking made through BA.

QF cancelled the flight at the last minute and, it being the last flight of the day, we needed to book a hotel for the night. QF say very openly on their website that they do not cover hotel accommodation under any circumstances.

BA openly state that they will consider all legitimate expenses claims including hotel bills, but are silent on how this might work if they are not the actual carrier.

I will obviously dig further into this, but would be grateful for any thoughts/experience in these circumstances.

cwoodward
    Participant

Did the flight have also a BA flight number ?
    Others are for more expert on this than am I but my understanding is that providing that the flight bore a BA flight number BA will take some responsibility re OoP expenses.

ASK1945
    Participant

Look up the Aussie regulations for these circumstances.

Certainly, for a flight originating in the EU or UK, the airline would be responsible for the reasonable cost of your accommodation/food and, depending upon the cause of your delay, possibly delay compensation.

The same applies for an EU/UK airline flying into the EU/UK.

esselle
    Participant

There are no equivalent protections currently in Australia which mirror the EU schemes. There is, however, growing pressure to introduce a “Pay on Delay” bill which would offer similar protection for passengers who experience delay or cancellation. It seems QANTAS are actively lobbying agains this.

As things stand, an airline is free to determine its own policies.

2 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Sadly when you submit the claim BA will reject it and tell you that legally (ie under EC261) it’s a matter for the operating carrier. And a flight into UK on a non EU carrier would not be covered under the regulations.

The flight number is of no relevance I’m afraid.

1 user thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

I’ve submitted a claim via the Qantas claim system, which they have acknowledged.

I will keep you posted, but currently am not optimistic of a positive outcome.

Rferguson2
    Participant

There is a page on their website under
    – qantas.com.au
    – click on ‘book’
    – click on ‘flights’
    – scroll down to ‘compensation and refunds poicy’

There is a table that details the reimbursement amounts they will pay. There are two tables, one for ‘away from home airport’ and another from ‘at home airport’.

Away from home airport with a an overnight delay and they will re-imburse A$200 per room per night for hotel and A$30 per person for meals.

esselle
    Participant

Thanks.

“Away from home airport” sadly doesn’t apply here though.

I will update once Qantas respond to my claim.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Travel insurance should cover this.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“Travel insurance should cover this.”

When CX cancelled my BKK-HKG sector and booked me 48 hours later – Amex Plat insurance showed no interest in covering the additional 2 nights hotel in BKK. My connecting flights from HKG-LHR-AMS were changed at no cost and I was lucky that the the separately ticketed AMS-LHR was also changed at no cost.

I would be interested to hear if the costs were covered by travel insurance.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Martyn, I am surprised to hear that. I recently claimed trip interruption via my travel insurance due to flight cancellation, usually, it has a cap, but I was able to recoup about $3000 HKD.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls