Expedited Screening

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

RichHI1
    Participant

The TSA in US together with CBP (Border Patrol) is following up a pilot with a free roll out of a pre-registered expedited security system. It is currently restricted to Citizens who are frequent flyers on domestic routes. This is due to data protection rules internationally inter alia. Frequent travellers register and get faster processing through security as they are Seen as lower risk and do Not have to remove shoes etc etc.

Should the UK adopt a similar scheme for UK citizens in UK airports? Does it make sense to identify higher and lower risk travellers? The current approach is one size fits all, is this the best way? Can security be linked to other government controlled security data when it is a private concern?

Binman62
    Participant

Profiling?! …………….It will never catch on………

At last some sense. Profile passengers!

But why limit it to frequent flyers, why are they less of a risk that an 80 year old man or women of good character? Why am I a higher risk than a frequent flyer when I travelling with my wife and kids?

Enough data is held on individuals to allow for those with a criminal conviction or any kind and those with whatever constitutes a suspicious background to be identified and made to undergo enhanced screening.

I am no expert on this but the sooner proper and effective profiling is introduced both on departure and arrival the better.

RichHI1
    Participant

my understnding is the process starts with frequent flyers as they know the system and their data is on file. The plan is to continue roll out to all travellers who meet the criteria of being citizens and travelling on Domestic flights. I believe Foreign Citizens may well be included once the data protection international issues are resolved.

the difference here oon profiling is that it is a process that people sign up for, it is not imposed upon them. That said in time the numbers noit registered will be the minority and non registration may have implications.

TGLynch
    Participant

My understanding is that Dutch citizens can avail of expedited entry to the US on a “trusted traveller” basis. Not sure why UK citizens cannot avail of this service but according to the Border Protection/TSA people at JFK the issue is at the UK end.

RichHI1
    Participant

TGLynch as I have posted repeatedly, the UK, the US, Canada, Holland and some other countries signed an initiative many years to expedite International Security aiming for more security and easier travel. Everybody else met there commitments but the UK did absolutely nothing. I have repeatedly written to my MP about this. My last reply in 2011 was the UK government had started a test pilot.
    Now in 2012 I have asked my MP to get an update from Damian Greeen and as yet there has been no reply. (Reply was quick last year). So yes your informant was correct, it is 100% down to incompetence, lack of interest or both in the UK. I have no doubt UKBA will blame the Home Offcie and vice versa and Labour will blame COnservative and vice versa. The truth is the UK Government has an abominable record in this and the endless waits at US immigration for UK citizens is purely down to the UK Government and the UKBA. Lest anyone says the USA is not in Europe so it is irrelevant, the Dutch have successfully worked on the project and maintained their European credentials at the same time.
    I would welcome any readers writing to their MP’s to ask why the UK has done nothing for 4 years except try to close down IRIS.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/news_releases/archives/2008_news_releases/june_2008/06242008_4.xml.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls