EVA LHR-BKK-LHR

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• BPP
    Participant

I recently asked for comments on EVA’s service LHR-BKK. Have just completed this (in J) so I offer a brief report.
    The United lounge in T2 was fine, very quiet when we arrived at 1830 but quite busy by the time we left for the gate. Food adequate – just and a nice bar area.
    Boarding was a little chaotic starting 30 mins late and only after many pax with ‘home printed’ boarding passes had been swapped for a ‘regulation’ one.
    Good clean cabin, spotless toilets throughout. Food looked very good although served with unseemly haste and why they serve such a feast at midnight body time defeats me. I declined to eat and turned in (in PJ’s) as soon as possible, succeeeding in getting a solid 6 hrs sleep! Breakfast was fine but again rushed.
    My only real ‘beef’ was the distance involved in getting from security to the Lounge and ‘B’ gates in T2. and the arrival time which meant rush hour traffic in BKK.

The return journey was again delayed by nearly an hour but fast track was straight forward and the EVA lounge fine if a little glitsy.The lighting was weired! Food on the way home (both meals) was very good indeed with great presentation and plentiful, but again served in too much of a haste. The wine list a little limited as was their knowledge of it. The tea terrible!
    a good hour late into Heathrow due to headwinds and stacking south of the airport. Again the long march to security!
    Out of 10 – maybe 8.5. The seat is good, the food is good – as good as any but spoiled by too much ‘hurry-hurry’ and the IFE is a bit limited. An hour earlier out of Heathrow would help.
    BPP

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

How full were your flights?

Such a shame there are, I think, only 2 direct flights LHR to BKK. Not even sure if they are daily…

BPP
    Participant

Hi Martyn. I can only speak for the Business class cabin which had 3 seats empty outbound and one seat empty return. The EVA schedule is once daily depart LHR 2120. I gather there is a Thai flight with a similar schedule
    BPP

Midlands Traveller
    Participant

I flew EVA LHR-BKK-TPE return in premium economy (they were one of the earlier airlines to offer that I think?) and it was great. Four seats in the middle of the aircraft to myself, easy transfers, food, service etc were really good.

That was in 1998. Never flown with them since but a thousand or so flights later I still remember it as one of the best.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MarkCymru
    Participant

It’s funny: I’m the exact opposite. I really hate slow meal services and I love an airline that gets the food out fast and cleared up fast. It’s my only complaint about the, otherwise wonderful, Aer Lingus across the Atlantic. I either want to work, read or sleep: I definitely do not want to spend over an hour eating one meal!

BPP

BPP
    Participant

Hi MarkCymru.Thanks for your comment but these were long 12/13 hour flights and the two meal services were a very welcome break in the monotony paticularly on the wholly daytime return leg. When the food and presentation is as good as this, it deserves respect and attention, the oppotunity to enjoy each of the SIX (amuse bouche – horsd-oeuvres – salad – soup – main course – desert/cheese) Lunch courses and wines with pleasure without feeling rushed. Breakfast was equally impressive but it all cried out for ‘Dine on demand’ like Qatar.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

@Midlands Traveller

Yes in answer to your question it was EVA along with Virgin Atlantic who inaugurated premium economy.

It was around 1991 or 1992.

I recall taking EVA and sampling the product around that time which, on the 747, was located in zone A.

Back then EVA routed LGW-VIE-BKK-TPE with fifth freedom rights on LGW-BKK and VIE-BKK.

TominScotland
    Participant

I flew EVA from London to Taipei in 2011 and had no idea about PE at that point. My ticket in what I assumed to be Economy was bought for me by a third party and I checked in and settled into this big seat, with extra legroom in blissful ignorance. The catering was outstanding (for Economy!!). It really was a revelation and it was only when I got off the plane and talked to a colleague who had been sitting in Row 40 something that I realised what was going on. My introduction to PE and it has been interesting how the product has evolved since then with major enhancements, although I have not flown EVA since.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls