Eurotunnel/Eurostar trains suspended (June 23)

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

AMcWhirter
    Participant

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Port-of-Calais-closed

Matters have got a lot worse.

The strikers have blocked the entrance to the Tunnel which is now closed.

Eurostar is now saying that all its trains are cancelled for the remainder of today.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/jun/23/travel-chaos-as-channel-tunnel-shuts-and-french-ferry-services-are-cancelled

AMcWhirter
    Participant

When Eurostar is disrupted then it really is disrupted. Trains are heavily booked at this time of year so today’s travellers who were asked to postpone their travel until tomorrow, now find there is little chance of travelling before Friday.

It also means that those travellers intending to use Eurostar to make onward connections into Germany, Holland, France, Switzerland, Spain and so on will face even more trouble in sorting out their itineraries.

Charles-P
    Participant

We were due to return to Belgium today but have been told our chances of travel are “unlikely” so I booked us on the LCY to Antwerp flight for tonight. Eurostar staff are trying their best to provide information but a lot they simply do not know. As one of them told me,
    “It’s the French striking season, we can only react once we know more”

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Charles, I have to travel to Brussels next Tuesday and have a good half hour connection from arrival to my next train.

Is this enough time and are there passport controls (and hence queues) to go through?

I’d appreciate your, or anyone else’s help.
    Thanks in advance.

SimonS1
    Participant

LP – you mean on arrival at Brussels? If so no, as the passport controls are done at London end. Changing trains is easy, down into the concourse and then onto the platform you need. 15 mins tops if the train is on time.

If you mean 30 mins from your arrival in London to catch the Eurostar then it’s doable but getting a bit tight as you need to get through the ticket gates, security and immigration.

Charles-P
    Participant

LuganoPirate – as was said above all passport control etc is done in London so no problems in Brussels. Half an hour is more than enough for a change of train. One issue to look out for is the pickpockets at the station, they are becoming a real problem of late, they are focused on obtaining passports.

If however you are changing trains from the European domestic service to the Eurostar then 30 minutes is very tight. Security can be a real pain some days.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Simon and Charles,

I did mean arrival in Brussels to my train to Luxembourg so that was very helpful.

Thanks also for the advice in London. I coming by DLR/Underground and forgot it’s not like just turning up for a train in Lugano. I’ll be there a good 45 minutes before my departure from St. Pancras.

I’m booking Premier Standard as I don’t need a Raymond Blanc meal at breakfast and I’m not worried if I have a lounge or not, I’m quite used to standing on platforms waiting for trains.

Thanks also for the advice re pickpockets. I have an ID card which I keep in my front shirt pocket securely buttoned down. I shall however be extra aware of my surroundings and I have nothing more than a small canvas briefcase, looks a bit scruffy as well, as will I. I’m luckily at the stage where I can see bankers and go to meetings without a jacket and tie, though my broker in London did say she wouldn’t let me in the office if I arrived in shorts 😉

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just booked and I see Eurostar is aligning itself with airline practice by charging £ 4 for using a credit card. I know its only £4 but it still annoys me as it does when I buy an airline ticket.

At least i could use a debit card and save the charge!

rjhcambs
    Participant

LP, Have a look at seat61.com. He illustrates a short cut to change platforms quickly in Brussels rather than following all the other pax through the normal exit and then going through the busy passageway to find your nest platform.
    I was in St. Pancras yesterday and as you can imagine it was chaos. I expect most of us on this forum would have plans B and C to get over the Channel but there were so many groups of school kids stuck. Goodness knows who organises their “rescue”.

MrMichael
    Participant

A tip about pickpockets. It is a natural action for us male humans when we are aware pickpockets might be about to “tap” our pocket containing wallet/passport/phone to ensure it is safe. Try not to, it apparently tips off the thieves of exactly where your valuables are ensconced on your whereabouts.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

thanks for the advice rjh, I’ll certainly take that shortcut.
    And a good tip Mr. Michaels. I’ll remember that.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls