Eurotunnel – Migrant numbers massive increase

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

Here in Belgium the law is clear and absolute. Government documents, utility bills and all legal communication is in French or Dutch, no exceptions no discussion. Of course people are polite and will try to help a foreign language speaker but the rules for all immigrants are obvious from the start. Low cost language courses are offered in local schools in the evenings and once people realise they have no choice they all quickly learn. If translation of documents is required the individual is required to pay for the costs of the work.

Harsh but it works.

Charles-P
    Participant

‘LuganoPirate ‘ On the subject of the Swiss and a little off topic one of my staff is Swiss (French speaking) and during his National Service he was allocated of course to a French speaking regiment but was surprised to discover it included Italian speaking soldiers as well until his officer explained that to the General command in Zurich the Swiss military is divided into two sections ‘German Speaking and others’ 🙂

AMcWhirter
    Participant

There is now so much trouble at Calais that some UK lorry drivers are avoiding the port and using others instead.

http://www.returnloads.net/news/lorry-drivers-avoid-france/

Charles-P
    Participant

I wrote to Eurotunnel detailing my experiences including the group of men trying to get into my car, the response was basically ” nothing to do with us, contact the French police “

NTarrant
    Participant

Back in the late 1990’s I did a spell driving the London – Paris Eurolines coach service. We used to leave Paris at 0830 mostly with a full 49 seated load. We would pass a form around which everyone had to complete their names, passport or ID number and nationality. It would mostly be completed by the time one reached the services on the A1 just before the A6. This is where you get the opportunity to see who you think would have no passport/ID when we reached Dover.

Mostly you would point them out to the Sea France officers who did the passport checks in those days, it was in their interest as the got fined £1000 for everyone that arrived. But they didn’t really care and for example one guy argued with me when I pointed out a guy who had a Greek ID card, had no luggage and was dressed like a 70’s pop star and didn’t respond to kalimara. Needless to say when we arrived at Dover he had no ID.

I expect it is slightly different now, but probably the principle is the same. One of our driver left Paris with 37 passengers one day but left Dover with 11

MrMichael
    Participant

It used to be in the UK that government and local authority documents had to be translated in to the language of choice of the recipient, at great cost to the taxpayer. That has now changed and is no longer a requirement.

However in the UK we still have same nonsense with Police interviews, court proceedings etc having to supply a translator. I think that should stop or they can pay for it themselves. Many use it hoping to get off as it is too costly to proceed, a bloody outrage. Thames Valley Police spent nearly £700,000 last financial year on translators for police interviews. That could put another dozen or so bobbies on the beat.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Charles-P. I can sympathise with that, it’s always been the Swiss German colonisers versus the Latin speakers. I’ve just come out of a condominium meeting and that was very much in eveidence with the SG speakers (a declining majority as more Italains buy) battling the Italian speakers.

As a by the way, In the Swiss German part the second language taught at school is English. In the French and Italian part it is German!

Flightlevel
    Participant

Charles P’s study from Belgium is supported by U.S.records,&history,& anecdotal evidence in the U.K.that immigration is always beneficial to the host country,though in the U.K we need to be more precise in recording immigrants (including their criminal records) & stop pandering to the pc brigade so that all communication is in English.It will be fairer to those who have suffered elsewhere,&economic immigrants – & to their hosts!

SimonS1
    Participant

Unfortunately it seems the term “immigrant” is a bit of a catch all. Clearly it includes those who speak English, want to work hard, add value to the economy, pay taxes etc.

It also includes those who don’t speak English, have little chance of holding down a job or paying taxes, want to claim benefits (including child benefit for kids not in the UK), clog up the NHS etc. I would have thought these were really refugees in nature.

We need to find a better way of differentiating between the two as “immigrant” has become a slightly emotive term.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls