EU 261 – Expense remboursement

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Matthew
    Participant

Does anyone else have an experience trying to claim expenses relating to EU261? I have been in “discussions” with Turkish airlines relating to a cancelled flight from last October, they do not want to reimburse the full cost of expenses incurred due to a re-routing, claiming a limit which is set internally after the fact.
    My initial flight was BRU-DXB and due to the cancellation I was re-routed to DUS-DXB (24 hours later). The most cost effective method was to take a taxi the following day @400 euro, any cheaper travel alternative did not arrive in time for the flight on the following day so would have incurred an overnight stay for 4 people and therefore cost more than 400 euro, Turkish airlines (although very poor in their standard of response) are finally stating that 200 euro is the most they can cover.
    Does anyone else have a similar experience? have you found a way to recover your costs?

Matthew
    Participant

Sorry I have just seen the auto correct! It should read reimbursement!

SimonS1
    Participant

The requirement under EC261 is to offer you accommodation free of charge. However you find some airlines are two lazy or understaffed to do the job and rely on people to make their own plans. The limit of €200 is unenforceable by the airline.

BA communicates a separate limit of £200 per night, however this is not enforceable in a court and if the only hotel reasonably available to you is £300 then the airline is liable. Of course you should be ready to justify your actions, so for example if the airport hotel was £300 but there was a hotel 5 miles away at £60 then you will have travel justifying the higher amount. Generally the lawyers recommend taking a screen shot from hotels.com or similar as evidence.

In OP case getting Turkish to pay up is a different thing, especially as flight did not go via the UK. However Turkish are members of AviationADR arbitration scheme and you can file a case there.

capetonianm
    Participant

Barking mad!

https://www.aerotelegraph.com/en/meet-jack-the-first-dog-who-got-compensated-for-a-cancelled-flight

Meet Jack, the first dog who got compensated for a cancelled flight

If a flight is cancelled, passengers are entitled to compensation under certain conditions according to EU law. It does not say anywhere that passengers must be human, though ………………

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls