Etihad cuts Melbourne capacity

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Although Etihad will continue serving Melbourne it will be cutting capacity effective October 1.

The news has been reported by Airlineroute. Etihad has yet to officially confirm the capacity cut.

Right now its two daily flights are operated by one B787-9 and one B777-300ER.

But from October 1 both will be operated by B787-9s.

It means that first class will be no longer available.

In the past canny travellers would bid for a first class upgrade on the longer sector between AbuDhabi and Melbourne.

Now of course that option will no longer be available.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Oh dear. I will have to break the bad news to my Senior Management who managed to get upgraded to F for all four legs LHR-AUH-MEL and back earlier this month. She’s already made it to Etihad Silver as a result. Tant pis.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

So far Etihad has not yet issued an official statement. It was also tardy in confirming that its service to Edinburgh and Perth would terminate in the autumn (see below)*.

But when checking its website for AUH-SYD in November you will see that both flights are now operated by B787-9s and first class is shown as “sold out.”

I checked various dates in November and all had the same “sold out” against first class.

* Previous news re Edinburgh/Perth

Etihad suspends services to Perth, Australia and to Edinburgh

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls