Erratic Heathrow Hoppa Warning

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

• BeckyBoop
    Participant

Mark you mentioned Air India on your first post of this thread it would be nice if you can provide some feedback on your flight perhaps on a new thread. I have never flown with them but have always been interested because their cabin crew wear saries!!! (i dont think they do anymore), i am sure they do a good curry on board? thanks xxx

MarkCymru
    Participant

Becky, done — under Air India in the airlines forum. Yes, the Indian food is very good and there’s lots of it

KeaneJohn
    Participant

Do most hotels not have an automated ticket machine for the Heathrow Hoppa in Reception.

I have only stayed at 2 hotels, The Ibis and Travelodge and there are machines that sell tickets taking cards and cash to prebook tickets.

I have never used the Heathrow Hoppa as others have mentioned, there are numerous free buses between key stops on Bath Road and CBS and vv.

LeTigre
    Participant

I, a resident of the London borough of Hillingdon, appear to be the only person with the real answer.

‘Heathrow FREEFLOW Zone’.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/heathrowterminals123-13970.pdf

You don’t even have to touch in your oyster card as long as you stay in the free zone. Check the map to see where you’re staying, choose the right London bus route or other route and get on the bus for free. You’ll find most hotels have a bus stop on the Bath Road just outside the front entrance.

No horrid hoppers for me!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The question that naturally follows on:

Are there any roads within say a 50 yard / metre distance from a FREEFLOW zone bus stop, where you can park on the road without restriction and for free.

NTarrant
    Participant

Hengli123, I think you will find that the question was answered by both myself and Becky earlier in the thread. Also you should not touch in your Oyster card as you will be charged.

Martyn I think you will find that the answer is no, but Hengli might know the location of a local housing estate. There is one on the 441 bus route but can’t think of the name. But you would have to pay the bus fare.

Alex
    Participant

The Hoppa service is an absolute disgrace – massively expensive and very poor. Excellent tip – use London Transport free!!!!
    I traveled recently on the Hoppa from terminal 4 to the Hilton Terminal 4 (West of the M25) which is about 3 miles. The journey cost £5 (its gone up so must be the most expensive bus ride in the UK if not the World) and the journey took OVER AN HOUR!! The driver was hopeless – no change, erratic – the Hoppa buses are rough as and noisy and you get shaken up – what must visitors from abroad think.
    This must be a massively profitable operation for National Bus – surely they could lay on a reliable regular service in decent quality buses. I asked the driver if he had had a pay rise of 12% – the amount the tickets have gone up – of course he had not. National Bus are DISGRACEFUL to rip people off like this.
    These routs need to be opened up to competition asap – so much for the Government and wanting to reduce prices by introducing competition! They need to force BAA to do the same.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi Alex, fully agree with you regarding the Hoppa, a real joke. That said, I think your review of this is actually from another terminal to the Hilton as Terminal 4 has a direct pedestrian passage way to the Hilton at Terminal 4. Regardless, The Hoppa is scandalous. It was much better years and years ago when hotels had their own busses, but I think it was the Hotels that decided on this to save costs or was this an airport decision?

Marlow1971
    Participant

I agree with sentiment expressed about Hoppa – it’s appalling and BAA are complicit.

TfL bus advice is sound. My other piece of advice is to stay in a hotel at Paddington and travel to airport from there! HEX is fifteen minutes – often quicker than airport shuttles!

NTarrant
    Participant

As I mentioned in earlier posts, Heathrow Hoppa is operated by National Express on behalf of BAA. As part of the free flow Heathrow project to reduce traffic congestion, vehicle movements and encourage greater use of public transport to the airport.

Hotel buses were withdrawn in favour of the Hoppa, primarily as they would not have been allowed to pick up at the terminals if they had tried to continue.

The idea of the Hoppa is very sound, regular service serving a number of hotels. It is just a shame that the services is poorly operated and overpriced!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Marlow – what a GREAT piece of advice and thinking about it, you are absolutely right…. cant wait to challenge a colleague to see who gets to the airport quicker in the morning… from either a Heathrow or Paddington hotel…

NTarrant
    Participant

But then HEX is also incredibly expensive

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi Martyn, just dont put any money on a wager if they are travelling from T4 and staying at the Hilton T4, or travelling from T5 and staying at the Sofitel T5, other than those, you can bet the house so to speak, as Paddington will definitely win.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

One of the problems I have with public transport to/from airports is the lack of space for baggage. I’ve never taken the Hoppa but who remembers that space under the stairs on the old double deckers where you could put a case or two?

The Piccadilly line is woefully inadequate in this respect. It’s fine getting on with your two pieces of checked baggage and handbagage, but as the tube fills with people you see the glares of hatred emanating from the eyes of commuters as they see these obstacles in the passage. Then there’s the fun of exiting or worse, just getting out of the station. Didn’t happen to me but I see it often enough when using the line.

DLR is marginally better. Just recently me, Mrs. LP and junior with one big case and 3 carry-ons. At least you can grab (if free) those two lean too seats and make that your corner for the duration, but then you have to change to the Jubilee line. Oh dear!

So come on public transport operators to airports, if you want us to use you, think about those passengers with baggage.

stevescoots
    Participant

All the more reason why I drive from Lincolnshire to LHR, @ 200 quid for petrol and 3 weeks parking its cheaper more comfortable and faster than the train and hotel. I dont have to endure public transport either, only LCY do I actually get the train but even then its a pain getting from kings cross with a heavy case.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls