End of stacking?

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

Of course if the issue of capacity had been resolved 20 years ago then we would not even be having this discussion

FrequentPR
    Participant

If you are only making a domestic journey and not connecting to or from an international flight, why not travel by train between Edinburgh and London and therefore save yourself time and worry in many cases, as well as travel in a more spacious (given that you can book a First Class seat on the train) and environmentally friendly manner?

On my visits from Australia to the UK I never travel internally by air. While I appreciate some will say ‘the train is too slow point to point’, surely many of you have to travel to get to Heathrow or other London airports, and then travel from EDI airport to your destination, while the trains operate between city centres and in some cases pick up or set down at suburban stops.

Given the relatively small distances in Europe and within the UK, rail is a real alternative to air in many cases.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi FrequentPR
    Maybe this will answer your question…….I’m needing to travel from just outside Edinburgh to Derby next week…….My options are…
    Train…….Journey time : apx 6 hours, cost = £240 standard return or £600 in first.
    Airplane…….Journey time: apx 2 hours, cost £187

I’ll add, that the standard return fare doesn’t guarantee a seat, and since Derby is a XCountry dominated station, i”ll have to endure airline seats that are so tight I ‘ll struggle to use a tablet, never mind a laptop to do any work.
    Plus previous experience of travelling XCountry means I will not be at all surprised to encounter an overcrowded ,overheated,overpriced buffet cart that won’t manage its way through the grubby carriage due the overcrowding .

Doesn’t seem appealing now ,does it…..And damn my company’s green credentials. : )

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls