EMR reveals its Aurora mainline trains

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Readers who take East Midlands Railway (EMR) out to St Pancras to the East Midlands and South Yorkshire cannot fail to notice how tired are the interiors of the current diesel units.

Today EMR has released information on the interior of its new bi-mode Aurora units.

The latter will replace the current diesel trainsets.

At least one set has been built at Hitachi’s UK plant. It is currently being tested.

Service entry is expected to be 2025.

https://news.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/news/emrs-new-intercity-fleet-first-reveal-of-auroras-interiors

1 user thanked author for this post.

FDOS
    Participant

Thanks Alex, though far from a regular on this line, I was shocked at what passed for first class on a HS train.

It’s good to hear that their pax are going to receive an upgrade.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Glad that the info was of use FDOS.

Here is the release re the seat refurbishment.

It suggests that first class will remain unrefurbished so it would appear that just standard class seats are being improved.

To be honest the number of times I have used EMR mainline I have found some of the standard class seating to be grubby and in a poor state of repair.

First class much better … I presume that’s because overall (i.e. throughout the day) it carries fewer passengers.

https://news.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/news/intercity-seat-refurbishment-more-than-1-200-seats-completed

Bath_VIP
    Participant

I will be travelling on EMR for the first time in 5 years tomorrow.

Sounds like I should board with low expectations…

Bath_VIP
    Participant

I’ve no idea if I was on a train today with the old or new seating.

But First class was easily some of the most comfortable first class seats I’ve experienced in the UK.

Beats GWR hands down.

2 users thanked author for this post.

RCinBelper
    Participant

The rule is: The older the train, the more comfortable the seat (unless they have been replaced during refurbishment). RC

AMcWhirter
    Participant

RCinBelper – See the link I provided above which shows the new seating.

From what I can see from the photo the seating gains new covers and padding.

EMR appears to have adopted neutral colours for this seat refresh as these trains will depart the fleet, for another operator, when the Aurora trains are delivered.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls