Emirates challenges rivals, aims for 120 A380s

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

Potakas
    Participant

An interesting interview from Emirate’s CEO, i read today at reuters. I will copy/paste the most important things of this but the article is here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE69B20020101012?pageNumber=1

”Emirates, which surprised the aviation world by lifting its orders of the world’s largest airliner by a third to 90 aircraft in June, is only constrained by a shortage of space to park them, airline president Tim Clark told Reuters.

“We would like some more but we are going to run short of space,” Clark said in an interview in his glass-walled office overlooking rows of jets at the Middle East’s busiest airport.

“120 was the baseline figure that the planners worked to get where we needed to be, but we couldn’t order that amount because it was too many for here, so 90 was a compromise.”

The carrier will order more when it gets additional space at its home base in Dubai, he added, without giving a date.

Passengers of Emirates are growing at 20 percent annually, said Clark, who expects to maintain this level for the next five years.

The A380 target implies a future Emirates order for 30 of the world’s largest airliner, worth $10 billion at list prices.

If the airline went ahead with this it would have an A380 fleet worth over $40 billion and extend its dominance as the European planemaker’s largest customer, a move which analysts say would also strengthen the region’s growing clout in Europe.

Clark said Emirates would fulfill all 90 orders of the 525-seat double-decker aircraft which it has placed so far.”

About the 787 he said :

“I am very glad we are not buying it and glad we weren’t the launch customer,” he said. “I think once they sort out the airplane, which they will do, it will be a good machine.”

And for the European Airlines Clark said,

“If they spend as much time running their business as they do trying to run us down they might make even more money.”

Regards,

Potakas

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls