Emirates B777-300 (two-class) Economy class

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

This review incorporates two aircraft types, B777-300 (two class) and B777-300 (three class) for a routing from Glasgow to Melbourne via Dubai.

I checked in on-line for this journey and was able to confirm pre-reserved forward aisle seats for both legs of the journey, 18G (the final row of the forward Economy cabin within the centre block of a 3-4-3 configuration) and 21G, again centre block but not at the back of the cabin. Baggage was checked through and a ‘Priority Business’ tag added in recognition of my Gold status with Emirates.

I used the Servisair Lounge at Glasgow which I know well and which holds no surprises (or joys!!). The inbound flight was a few minutes late to boarding commenced later than expected and was its usual chaotic self in Glasgow although rear steps for high row Economy passengers alleviated pressure on the one air bridge used. I was able to board quickly by using my Gold status again and settled into a reasonably comfortable Economy seat.

Take-off was some 30 minutes late but the announced flying time was less than normal so an on-time arrival was predicted.

Drinks and lunch service commenced quite quickly and offered a reasonable choice of lamb or chicken although my neighbour, who had not pre-ordered vegetarian, was clearly unhappy with the options.

The IFE is really second to none and offers such a wide range that you (almost) wish for a longer flight. Its a great opportunity to catch up with new movies or to wallow in nostalgia by reliving your all-time favourites.

The cabin crew were friendly and reasonably attentive but did not acknowledge my Gold status, which they have done in the past on this flight. Drinks and a light snack were offered before landing in Dubai which took place 20 minutes behind schedule after a number of holding circles over the Persian Gulf.

We parked to terminal stand (not always the case) and, after a healthy walk through the terminal, I was able to find a place in the very crowded Business Lounge to catch up on the world via wifi.

My next flight left from gate 121, a good 15 minutes back down the terminal to where we had arrived (great for the circulation) and boarding for the melbourne via Kuala Lumpur flight was on-time. However, some passengers did not show and with a long queue for take-off, we were about an hour late into the air.

A snack was served soon after take-off and then I slept until breakfast service, about 90 minutes out from KL. The breakfast omelette was not attractive to the eye so I passed, just eating fruit and pastries. Landing was a few minutes late in KL and all transit passengers and their luggage had to disembark, thankfully with immediate access back into the departure area.

Reboarding my luck changed and I found myself upgraded into Business, in the front row (8J), a good location with ease of access to facilities yet quiet enough. A really good lunch was offered and I chose a lamb curry which was tasty and hot. (in both senses). My neighbour (also an up-grade) happened to live just 3 miles from where I stay so we had a pleasant exchange of experiences. A good sleep followed, substantial snacks were served and we landed in Melbourne bang on time.

Immigration at 02.25 was a breeze (the only in-bound international flight at that time) but my luggage, despite its tag, was among the last out – a pity. Despite this, a 5 minute walk to my pre-booked airport motel and I was in bed, asleep, within an hour of landing.

A great service from Glasgow, to be doubled from the summer, adequate in Economy but really enhanced by the upgrade from KL.

CXDiamond
    Participant

I wonder how many people who read these boards are interested in economy class travel. My impression is that almost all of us travel in First and Business class.

TominScotland
    Participant

CX Diamond. Lucky man…. Nobody forces you to read my humble offerings about the travails of the under classes.

I travel for business and mix my class of travel according to client resources and the nature of the contract, as my previous postings testify. Work I do for international aid agencies, for example, rarely attracts higher level travel entitlements and I am happy to support the work of such agencies by accepting Economy tickets.

Believe me, there are plenty of folk who actually travel for business at the back of the bus and, I suspect, some of them even have the temerity to read postings to this forum. Maybe BT should consider blocking anyone who does not travel First or Business 100% of the time.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Woman, as I’ve said before.

Yes, it may be a good idea to block economy class travellers from this forum along with those who travel on charter flights. I suppose it is of interest to some but I’ve never tried either and wouldn’t wish to, I imagine it’s a bit like a low cost airline and I certainly wouldn’t fly with one of those and would stay at home if faced with no choice.

TominScotland
    Participant

Apologies for the gender gaff, CXDiamond

Sorry, but to say that long-haul full-service Economy is like a low-cost airline is a tad removed from reality. You may never have travelled this way or wish to but it is a reality for many business travellers. All product and service offerings are part of the rich tapestry that is contemporary international travel and I, for one, am interested in all aspects of the world we live in, not just a narrow and blinkered perspective on it. As I said earlier, you can always ignore reviews which relate to airlines or classes in which you have no interest.

spudseamus
    Participant

Im sure the forum says Business traveller not Travelling Business !!
    Thanks TominScotland I at least enjoyed your t/r

stevescoots
    Participant

I agree Spud,

I travel business class always on long hual, never seen the point of going business on short hops of 1-2 hours. Also there are many many people who travel economy for business long haul, either thier company rules or thier own company and they are watching the purse strings. All my staff fly econ if they do 3 or less long haul a year.

CX, those of us used to flying upfront do have a joke now and then at those in the rear in good jest, most of us started flying back there, but your comments about stopping economy reviews (and charter, I grant you that) have an elitest ring to them. I could be way far of the markhere, CX diamond? Cathay Diamond? not lining up outside LV singing the locust song are we?

TominScotland
    Participant

This is posted with apologies, again, to the sensibilities of CXDiamond – please do NOT read this post!!

I returned Perth – Dubai (777-200 Three Class) – Glasgow (777-300 Two Class) in Economy. I arrived at the International Terminal in Perth in plenty of time for my evening flight (22.30) and was able to check in within a couple of minutes and deposit my very heavy suitcase without any hassle. As an Emirates Gold card holder, I marvel at the airline’s generous luggage allowance – 46 kg in Economy is more that I could imagine ever using unless emigrating…..

I made use of the attractive Emirates Lounge – good hot and cold food options, fruit and cheese. Boarding was at Gate 2 just across from the Lounge and I walked straight on board via the Premium line.

Economy seating is 3-4-3 and is fine for me provided I have a forward (purely in the mind, this) aisle seat, which I did. The IFE at my seat was playing up but two re-boots saw in right. The senior crew member in Economy made a point of recognising Gold members – this is a nice touch not always undertaken by EK.

Having eaten in the Lounge, I headed to sleep quickly and did not avail of the first service. Tasty snacks were served half way through this 10’20” flight but breakfast service started far too early (3 hours out) which is an issue I think airlines need to think about on night flights. Surely, it is better to let people sleep and provide a lighter, quicker service than wake people up so early? I know you can decline but the general bustle will wake all but the most determined sleeper.

Arrival in Dubai was a few minutes early and was at a Terminal Gate. Security queues were long but moved quite fast – this is not the most exacting of security systems in the world. So I was in the Business Lounge with about 90 minutes to have myself a decent cup of coffee and the option of Breakfast No 2 (declined).

Boarding for Glasgow was from a gate close to the Lounge and started early. Again, boarding was a breeze and we were fully loaded early, for an on-time departure – unusual on this flight. I was seated in my preferred choice of Economy seat again.

Breakfast No 3 came along fairly rapidly and, as this was a day flight, I had the opportunity to catch up on some work before an excellent lunch was served two hours out – the chicken curry was really tasty. We landed in a cold but bright Glasgow some 20 minutes early and my bag, tagged as Priority, was second off.

As good an experience as I could have hoped for on this long journey and I arrived home reasonably rested. As always, Emirates operates virtually full on these routes and the extra rotation on the Dubai- Glasgow route, due to start this summer, will be welcome.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Tom

Interesting reviews, wish EK had been around in my days of long haul Y 😉

Did a mid-haul Y with them last week (MLA-LCA-DXB and back) and was pleasantly surprised at the seat (nice pitch), food (not far away from what I’ve been offered in J one some airlines, in content and quality, if not presentation) and pleasant and responsive service.

IFE was poor, on a 332, rolling movies, but half way through after take off (very bizarre) and a reboot didn’t fix it.

Nonetheless, on a 5-6 hour trip, with a stop half way, a pretty pleasant way to travel and at a cost of about 800 eur against 2,200 in J (with cradle seats), a no brainer – I will take this service next time I go to DXB (if I start form Malta.)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls