Emirates Aircraft change… at it again!

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

SwissExPat
    Participant

I’ve been a real advocate of EK and have been Gold Skywards for 2 years with numerous trips to Asia via DXB (ex LON and Europe).

Last week they swapped out the aircraft that was scheduled to depart ex DXB to Asia, with the result that the advertised private suites in F were replaced by old ‘Skycruisers’.

This is the 3rd time this has happened to me with EK. I specifically chose the departure ex DXB because it had the suites. I even chose one suite on the Seat selection at booking.

The first two times this happned, EK called my mobile. Once I was able to take the call and they moved me to an alternative flight (with the suites) at little or no inconvenience. Once I could not take the call (in a meeting) and only found out when I boarded (and was really annoyed)

However, this time I got no call and was not informed at all. I found out when I boarded the plane.

Somewhat fortuitously, I had used some ‘soon to expire’ airmiles for the upgrade to F for this trip. I told the CSD/Purser on the plane that this was the last straw and requested to be ‘DOWNGRADED’ to business since I was not prepared to pay for the ‘so-called’ F cabin and particularly that I had received no notification of the change of aircraft (as per the last 2 instances of same). He realloctaed me a seat in business and 3 days later I got an email from EK recrediting the miles for this Sector. [no apology mind!]

I now realise that EK really are not that interested in providing the advertised service or indeed ensuring that very frequent flyers with them are looked after. However, I am fortunate that in this case, I had not paid cash!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Swissexpat – You did not mention which aircraft type was rostered for your flight or to which Asian city you were destined.

But one of EK’s B777-300ERs is unexpectedly out of service following an incident on board a Dubai-Beijing service earlier this month.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4521d5ef

epeek06
    Participant

great now I’m scared after having read those facts, considering I’m flying in two days…

SwissExPat
    Participant

As it happens it was an EK from DXB to India.

However, the key issue is that this flight (and the same flight ex DXb to the same destination every day) is rostered as a 777ER incl 8 Suites in F not the 12 SkyCruiser seats presented.

My overall point is that it appears that EK have now given up on contacting PAX in advance (I can only assume due to the extremefrequency of such changes) so as to assuage the disappointment. They probably now hope that a large % of PAX will simply take what is there and let the matter go.

Nice business if you can get it!

SimonS1
    Participant

What we don’t know from your post is how long before departure the aircraft had been switched. If it was say 24 hours in advance then clearly you were entitled to know and it was unreasonable behaviour not to notify you.

However clearly aircraft sometimes become unserviceable a short time before departure, maybe even on the inward flight, leading to a switch or some other juggling of the fleet at very short notice. In such circumstances they may not have had time to let you know. Also, if this were the case, whilst you were understandably irritated I am sure 99% of the passengers would have been delighted that EK could come up with another aircraft at short notice without the lengthy delays that often occur in such circumstances.

Cleancabinair
    Participant

SwissEx Pat:-
    You should ask for the points / cash refund as per the promise by Tim Clark in the Bloomberg interview link below :-

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-21/emirates-says-whole-load-of-airlines-will-fail-in-fuel-squeeze.html

However the airline is now maintaining that Tim Clark was taken out of context and refuses to acknowledge the undertaking by the CEO! Very poor PR by Emirates!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls