Emirates A380 AKL-SYD, Business

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

FivestarFred
    Participant

Emirates has two daily A380 flights out of AKL (via SYD and MEL to DXB) and a third will soon replace the 777 to BNE and on to DXB. Check in was swift and efficient and Australian pre-clearance booth next to the check in desk.

The lounge at Auckland is typical of non-Dubai lounges: spacious with lovely décor, great food and drink and a wide selection of magazines. In contrast the Qantas first class section of their lounge in Auckland is extremely drab with poor food and drink and no views.

The three EK flights leave within 40 mins of each other so the lounge is busy for about three hours of the day and compounded now that Qantas Gold and Platinum passengers can use this lounge as well. However there is a lot of seating and the Emirates flights between New Zealand and Australia tend not to be packed as most passengers bound for Dubai get on in Australia.

Both A380s use the far boarding gates but it’s not too long a walk from the lounge. Separate boarding for the upper deck first and business class. Welcomed at the door by four cabin crew. Jacket taken and drink offered…Moet, juice or water. There were 26 cabin crew on board speaking nineteen languages! I do find EK staff mostly warm and friendly…a nice balance…not as “refined” as the best of BA and Qantas yet not “over-friendly” like the Virgin Group of airlines crew.

This aircraft was the older of the A380s…old being that this wasn’t the newest version with automatic window blinds and ipad IFE controls. Bright and spacious cabin nonetheless and great IFE. Take off was smooth and on time. Full dinner service. Choice of two white and two red wines and most other hard spirits. Starter, three choices of main (beef, chicken and fish) and choices of dessert including cheese, chocolate cake and fruit. The crew came by regularly with bottles of wine and champagne. Of course the on board bar opened soon after take off and was quickly populated. Lots of bar snacks available. Got quite crowded there as business class was about half full.

Flight was 3hrs long but thoroughly delightful. Landed early. Emirates is particularly delightful for me and their ground service is excellent too. No ground transfers for Aus-NZ trans-Tasman business class but that was not a deal breaker. Fast track cards handed out but Sydney Airport relatively quiet at that time of night and in any case the express path to customs wasn’t open last night.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello FivestarFred
    As a matter of interest, what made you choose EK ? Was it because of the A380 or was EK charging less than the established carriers on the route ?

FivestarFred
    Participant

Hi Alex.
    Firstly, I would normally go for a larger aircraft where available especially when travelling in business class due to the superior products available. On the trans-Tasman route there are two other airlines that have the tag from their hubs, LAN and China Airlines, using the A340 and A330 respectively. All three also charge less than Qantas on that route in business class. The only limiting factor is that these three airlines have only one daily flight each so that is not convenient for most people and hence Qantas and Air New Zealand dominate and can charge accordingly. Jetstar and Virgin Australia also ply the route but are more low cost.

So yes, for most of my trans-Tasman trips I have used LAN and Emirates. I am a OW FF so the very reasonable business class tickets offer a cheap way to attain/retain status.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls